F30 - speaker mute switch / headphones - need info please :)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metallixro

Reaction score
Heya Mesaheads,

More that 10 years ago I bought a guitar and a Mesa Boogie F30 in order to start learning guitar but it didn't happen... until now. I have bought headphones to quietly practice, Audio Technica ATH-M20X, but when I hit the mute speaker switch on the back of the amp with the headphones connected there is still a low volume sound coming out of the cabinet... and that defeats the purpose of using headphones.
So the question is: can I disconnect the cabinet when the mute speaker switch is on mute setting or will that damage my amp ? Must I always have a cabinet connected no matter what ?

CHEERS!
Vis.

Seems like a malfunction. Don't know about the speaker question, I'll be interested in knowing this too since my F50 is behaving the same way.

Don't run the amp (or any tube amp) without a load, the output transformer can be damaged.

Most tube amps (opposite of transistor amps) can handle short circuit well, so using a jack where the
tip and ground is connected probably works (ask Mesa Customer support to be shure).

Page 8 of the manual: https://drive.google.com/open?id=19yEo7GAdIHAWBGTVOi_3sE7QtfH7BIuJ

"SILENT RECORDING:
This rocker switch which is located down under the chassis and selects between the live “Speaker
On” setting and the silent “Speaker Mute” setting. This is a perfect solution for all-nighters! This
switch mutes all of the signal at the power section driver stage, removing the need for a speaker load
IN THIS POSITION ONLY!

NOTE: When this switch is set to the “ON” position, a speaker load must be maintained by either a
load resistor of some type or a speaker itself. Failure to follow this instruction could result in major
damage to the amplifier. Leave your speaker connected."

If there is signal coming through when you have mute selected something is probably wrong but you can disconnect the speaker only when the switch is set in the mute position. I have the Rocket 44 with the same feature and there is no leakage when in mute mode.

Back