Mesa F-30

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNTRoy

Reaction score
I was playing a few days ago and all of a sudden the volume dropped and I looked at one of the power tubes was glowing really bright. so I shut it off.. I figured the one of the power tubes went bad. so I ordered a new set from Mesa installed them it sounds great but they are running very hot.. I mean after a few min's of playing it gets hot... do I need to take it and get it serviced?? or is this normal? This amp was in perfect condition when I got it. I have only had if for a few months now.. I also have a Rectoverb 50 combo and it don't seem to run that hot after a hour or so of playing...

I have also noticed it is noisy on all channels when the volume is up on the amp with no pedals only guitar pluged in with the volume turned down on the guitar. I am using a Gibson SG guitar 2013 with no mods.

TNTRoy, I hope you get some replies and don't feel I'm hijacking your tread!

I just bought a used F30 last week and am having the same problem. Even the plates inside one of the power tubes were glowing.

It may have even been too loud for the volume setting but sounds fantastic though until the volume drops out...

Did you have similar symptoms?
S

Scottomy said:
TNTRoy, I hope you get some replies and don't feel I'm hijacking your tread!

I just bought a used F30 last week and am having the same problem. Even the plates inside one of the power tubes were glowing.

It may have even been too loud for the volume setting but sounds fantastic though until the volume drops out...

Did you have similar symptoms?
S

yes when looking at the rear of the amp the left power tube was glowing really bright. But I only have the volume up to about 11:30 or so.. I replaced the tubes but even at lower volumes the power tubes are getting really hot now.. I mean after 15 min's of play (low Volume) burn your finger hot.... But it sounds even better than ever now. Please note I replaced with Mesa tubes...

I changed the phase inverter tube and the power tubes and was able to use the amp at band practice with no issues. Hopefully the PI tube was the problem...

Scottomy said:
I changed the phase inverter tube and the power tubes and was able to use the amp at band practice with no issues. Hopefully the PI tube was the problem...

I will give it a try and see what it does.. Thanks for the help.

Scottomy said:

Which one is the phase inverter tube? i have check the manual but no luck..

Sorry, I haven't logged in in a while...

Looking from the rear it's the leftmost 12ax7a tube, right in the middle of the chassis and directly below the power tubes.

Ok...my 2 cents...

I have been using my F30 for freakin years. I have had very good luck with tubes but I replace them all after about 2 years of use. I did gig a lot with it, like to the tune of 60 nights in a year. The F30 is a killer amp. It is small but the tubes get kinda mushy after a while and it isn't noticeable until you put a fresh set in. I keep the old ones for spares. Electronics can take each other out so depending on what goes out things on down the line in the circuit can get smoked or weakened. My thought has always been change tubes on a schedule and adjust the schedule if use goes up too much. Down time sucks, maintenance is much easier to deal with. Trying to remember what tube was replaced and when is a pain.

Latest posts

Back