The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Overdrive for F-50
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:57 am 
Bottle Rocket

Hello Forum, greetings from Colorado! Just acquired a 10-year-old F-50 earlier this month and absolutely love it. I am a blues, jazz, and jam band lead player and am looking for some suggestions on a low-to-mid-gain overdrive pedal which works well with the F-50. I read one post advocating the AC Booster by Xotic. Any others? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Overdrive for F-50
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:23 am 
Mark I

I use a spark mini boost. Not really an OD but on channel 2 it drives the amp harder even though it's a boost.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:10 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Thanks waterboy. That Spark sounds nice, but I should have been more precise about how I intend to use the pedal. I plan on taking advantage of the F-50's remarkable sounding Clean channel nearly always, so I need an actual overdrive pedal rather than a clean boost. One which has a characteristic tone which works well with the amp. I noticed in one the videos I saw about that Spark boost the guy used it to push an Xotic AC Boost pedal, which is a true overdrive pedal. It sounded great through the Orange he was using. I might try to find a music store in Denver which has a selection of boutique overdrives that I can actually try out with my amp, that's the probably the only way to know for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:55 am 
Mark I

I use an Exotic BB preamp comp with my F-50 combo, and I love it!

I offer online guitar lessons on Skype in different styles. Send me a PM if interested.

check out my 1st EP 'Sonic Sketches'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:39 pm 
Donating Member

Can't go wrong with a BBPre. Or an OD808. Both give you the tone of your guitar and amp, plus... more. Of the two, the 808 is the more transparent, while the BB has more character and control. A really cool thing about the BB is that it can be set to be a fairly light overdrive in clean, and then work with the same settings as a boost on lead mode that gives a touch more drive and really facilitates feedback and sustain without overwhelming the channel.

2x Recto 2x12 Vertical

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:22 pm 
Mark II

I've just bought a Tubescreamer mini to use with mine, and either running it through the clean channel as an overdrive or through the dirty channel to tighten things up works a treat. Best pedal i've ever bought i reckon (and i've had a few..).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:21 am 
Mark I

I use a Free The Tone MS SOV with my F50 and the 2 go well together..I also used a Zendrive with good results but the SOV smokes

PRS Custom 24 - PRS CE 22 - SVL 61 Reserve Stratocaster with SVL 59 Reserves - Fender 57 Reissue Strat with SVL 59 Reserves - Lowden O23 - Lowden F32cx - Takamine TNV 460SC - Tokai LSF 100 Les Paul - Levinson Blade Strat - Mesa/Boogie F50.