Overdrive for F-50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DangerousDan

Reaction score
Hello Forum, greetings from Colorado! Just acquired a 10-year-old F-50 earlier this month and absolutely love it. I am a blues, jazz, and jam band lead player and am looking for some suggestions on a low-to-mid-gain overdrive pedal which works well with the F-50. I read one post advocating the AC Booster by Xotic. Any others? Thanks!

I use a spark mini boost. Not really an OD but on channel 2 it drives the amp harder even though it's a boost.

Thanks waterboy. That Spark sounds nice, but I should have been more precise about how I intend to use the pedal. I plan on taking advantage of the F-50's remarkable sounding Clean channel nearly always, so I need an actual overdrive pedal rather than a clean boost. One which has a characteristic tone which works well with the amp. I noticed in one the videos I saw about that Spark boost the guy used it to push an Xotic AC Boost pedal, which is a true overdrive pedal. It sounded great through the Orange he was using. I might try to find a music store in Denver which has a selection of boutique overdrives that I can actually try out with my amp, that's the probably the only way to know for sure.

Can't go wrong with a BBPre. Or an OD808. Both give you the tone of your guitar and amp, plus... more. Of the two, the 808 is the more transparent, while the BB has more character and control. A really cool thing about the BB is that it can be set to be a fairly light overdrive in clean, and then work with the same settings as a boost on lead mode that gives a touch more drive and really facilitates feedback and sustain without overwhelming the channel.

I've just bought a Tubescreamer mini to use with mine, and either running it through the clean channel as an overdrive or through the dirty channel to tighten things up works a treat. Best pedal i've ever bought i reckon (and i've had a few..).

I use a Free The Tone MS SOV with my F50 and the 2 go well together..I also used a Zendrive with good results but the SOV smokes

Latest posts

Back