Overdrive for F-50

F-30, 50 and 100's

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

DangerousDan
Bottle Rocket

Overdrive for F-50

Post by DangerousDan » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:57 am

Hello Forum, greetings from Colorado! Just acquired a 10-year-old F-50 earlier this month and absolutely love it. I am a blues, jazz, and jam band lead player and am looking for some suggestions on a low-to-mid-gain overdrive pedal which works well with the F-50. I read one post advocating the AC Booster by Xotic. Any others? Thanks!

waterboy
Mark I

Re: Overdrive for F-50

Post by waterboy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:23 am

I use a spark mini boost. Not really an OD but on channel 2 it drives the amp harder even though it's a boost.
Mesa mark V 25 with Mini rec slant cab, Nova delay in loop, Spark Boost in front, Les Paul Traditional, Epiphone master built acoustic, Mesa F-50 Custom grill

DangerousDan
Bottle Rocket

Post by DangerousDan » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:10 pm

Thanks waterboy. That Spark sounds nice, but I should have been more precise about how I intend to use the pedal. I plan on taking advantage of the F-50's remarkable sounding Clean channel nearly always, so I need an actual overdrive pedal rather than a clean boost. One which has a characteristic tone which works well with the amp. I noticed in one the videos I saw about that Spark boost the guy used it to push an Xotic AC Boost pedal, which is a true overdrive pedal. It sounded great through the Orange he was using. I might try to find a music store in Denver which has a selection of boutique overdrives that I can actually try out with my amp, that's the probably the only way to know for sure.

Santuzzo
Mark I

Post by Santuzzo » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:55 am

I use an Exotic BB preamp comp with my F-50 combo, and I love it!
my website - free licks - some of my music

I offer online guitar lessons on Skype in different styles. Send me a PM if interested.

check out my 1st EP 'Sonic Sketches'

elvis
Donating Member

Post by elvis » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:39 pm

Can't go wrong with a BBPre. Or an OD808. Both give you the tone of your guitar and amp, plus... more. Of the two, the 808 is the more transparent, while the BB has more character and control. A really cool thing about the BB is that it can be set to be a fairly light overdrive in clean, and then work with the same settings as a boost on lead mode that gives a touch more drive and really facilitates feedback and sustain without overwhelming the channel.
Mini Rectifier blue LED
Stiletto ACE
Recto 2x12 Vertical
Recto 2x12 Wedge

Nick79
Mark II

Post by Nick79 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:22 pm

I've just bought a Tubescreamer mini to use with mine, and either running it through the clean channel as an overdrive or through the dirty channel to tighten things up works a treat. Best pedal i've ever bought i reckon (and i've had a few..).

paul461
Mark I

Post by paul461 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:21 am

I use a Free The Tone MS SOV with my F50 and the 2 go well together..I also used a Zendrive with good results but the SOV smokes
PRS Custom 24 - PRS CE 22 - SVL 61 Reserve Stratocaster with SVL 59 Reserves - Fender 57 Reissue Strat with SVL 59 Reserves - Lowden O23 - Lowden F32cx - Takamine TNV 460SC - Tokai LSF 100 Les Paul - Levinson Blade Strat - Mesa/Boogie F50.

TataDrale
Bottle Rocket

Overdrive for F 50

Post by TataDrale » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:02 am

10 BTDC is close. The Dizzy is most likely worn out, so get it close and hope for the best.

Do you own a shop manual?

By the way, what automobile auctions websites do you know? I recently investigated http://www.carfrom.us automobile auction. I found good salvage HONDA RIDGELINE 2007 Image Image . I'm glad that i ran vin check before buying. It had burn - interior damage. Be secure and consistently run vehicle history check before buying.