Soon to have a F-50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Naples

Reaction score
It looks like this forum is pretty quiet. I was wondering what anyone thought, I have the opportunity to get a F-50 and 1x12 cab in a trade for my Koch Multitone. Good idea?

From what I have seen, you can get good metal sounds and hard rock sounds from this amp, it also seems to have a nice classic rock sound in there.

I am looking to use this more for heavy stuff. I have a new RV 25 coming soon also.

These are not so common these days, so not much activity. You might try the general Modern Era Amps part of the forum for a question like this.

I had 2 F50s (a head and a combo) and I loved them. A lot like a rectifier tone, lots of upper-mid crunch. Good cleans. Contour is nice for a smother tone for leads. Takes pedals well. Works well for medium gain, can produce quite a lot of gain.

I would still have one, but have moved to the minis for a bit less volume. The F50 is LOUD. Still, I love the 6L6 power amps in them. I also had a 50/50 because it's the same power amp.

I used stock Mesa tubes. I tried an SPAX7 and it was really weak. I got one with EH tubes and they were OK. Nothing special.

There is not as much gain as some of the super-gainy amps. You get more bite and apparent gain by adding treble and possibly some mids, though I scooped mine IIRC.

To me it was just enough. Really shines live.

Oh - in that vein, you have to turn it up. You will saturate the power stage and it will sparkle. Not a good quiet amp.

Thanks Elvis, I did notice that backing the bass way off, and turning up the treble killed it. This sounds really good now, I did replace a broken PI tube and V1 and V2, I put a NOS Ken-Rad GE long plate in V2, and a nice JJ ECC83S in V1, sounds good. My Mesa power tubes will be here tomorrow. But so far it sounds great, going to do the FX loop master trick and see how that sounds too.

I'll try it cranked up, as soon as I can get the house empty. :D

Latest posts

Back