F50 Mods!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I just sold my Heartbreaker and picked up an F50. Mainly because the HB weighed 90 pounds and didn't have enough gain for me anymore!
I only got to try it for a few minutes last night, but I really like the gain channel.
I didn't really find a clean setting that felt right to me, too stiff, but I can tell it's in there if I can get it set right.

Unfortunately, my wife didn't like the volume!

I'm planning on adding a few mods and will share them here when I'm done.
Here is what I'm thinking:
Series Loop - Parallel loop does nothing for me! I'll put the Channel Select switch where the Mix pot used to be maybe.....
Master Volume - I'll probably add a DC style Master Volume where the Chanel Select switch was
Smoother Cleans - I'll probably smooth out the cleans a little and make them more "Organic" sounding. I know a lot of guys rave about this clean channel, but the Heartbreaker cleans were incredible!
Bias Pot - I've pretty much stopped adding bias pots to my Mesa amps, but I'm dying to try this amp with 6V6's!
Contour Knob - Maybe an Express style Contour Knob?

Anybody have any mods I should try? Anybody have any mod ideas they would like for me to try and report back?

Hmm...you said the clean isn't great...How about forgetting the clean channel and altering the preamp circuitry to make channel 1 dirty and channel 2 outright nasty?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The first amp I built had AC/DC for the clean channel and souped up Metaltronix/Lee Jackson for a lead channel!
I was thinking about trying to get Lonestar cleans out of it! The circuit is remarkably similar to the original Express. I think the Express sounded much warmer though because of the tube reverb. I don't think the solid state reverb does much for any amp......

I wired my first F50 for true series loop, wasn't any different than the parallel at 100% wet. There's always a bit of crosstalk in the driver tube.

Latest posts

Back