F50 Combo crackling issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acdcdas

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but not to mesa boogie.
Today i bought a second hand F50 as i was looking to downsize to a smaller amp.
I was told it had been serviced and had just had new valves. I looked and can see they are JJs.
Unfortunately when i turned the amp on within about 5 or 6 seconds i could hear noise on both channels.
Theres a hum and a crackling and popping. I assumed it might be the valves but they are all in secure and are lit up.
I also notice when i touch the front panel or the metal on the handle it pops. I guess there might be an earth issue.
Does anyone reckon this could happen in transit or do you think i am being conned by the seller as he insists that it made no noise before it left.

Love to get this sorted as i can't wait to test it out in a band environment!

Cheers for any help or advise

Tom

Hey Tom,
Not sure if you got this sorted out.

It definitely sounds like something is loose. When I saw the title of your thread, I thought it might be loose or dirty tube sockets, but if you touch the handle and it makes noise.......
Did you ever get it taken care of?

Hi, thought i might try to get on top of this issue again.
After my original post i took it into be looked at and they had it a week and didn't find anything wrong.
Very frustrating but iv'e been using it on and off in practice for a few years now.

Ive not noticed so much popping, but there is one main issue. After a while of playing, the volume will drop on the clean channel and get a little dirty.
Ive changed the valves countless amount of times and this still happens. Ive just got used it to and turned it off for a while then used it again but id love to get this dealt with if anyone has a vague idea what it could be?

Cheers
Tom

Not sure if this will help...but I have a noise issue with my F50 at home but not at gigs..the reverb in my amp doesn't like the electric at home..it can pop a little etc..no volume loss just noise. I run a TC Hall of fame because of it.

Cheers Paul

The popping seems ok now, so you are probably right, it as something to do with where i tested it.
I changed the 6l6 valves for Sovtecs and as the amp warmed up the valves blew the fuse.
I got replacement fuses (1amp as it says to use) and they blew straight away with both sets of valves.
One set worked for a while with my original JJs in but blew as i turned the amp off.
I compared the old fuse and noticed it was a 25amp fuse. I guess this isn't a good thing.

Anyone have any idea or a decent repair place in south london?

Cheers
Tom

Latest posts

Back