F30 Issues. Need urgent help. Please

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louiev

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I hope that someone can spare a little time and help me with these few issues my F-30 has been giving me recently. Just so you know beforehand I replaced 3 pre-amp tubes here(V1 - Driver tube, V2 - Gain Stage Tube and the V4 - Phase Splitter/Output to EL34s) and also 2 power-amp tubes(EL84s) I replaced it with TAD tubes. And also, even BEFORE replacing the tubes, it's been acting up on me, reason why I changed the tubes thinking that it's a tube issue. But I still get these following issues:

1.) On my clean channel, I get a gritty dirty clean sound even when the gain is set to low(11 o'clock) and I have my master volume up to a low volume(9 o'clock) I still get this annoying gritty clean sound. I DO get the clean sustain out of the tone, it's just that the actual tone I get gives me this overdriven-type sound which I don't get before.

2.) On the 2nd channel which usually I use for Overdriven/Distorted tunes, I get this Overly-Distorted dirty sound. Even when I set my gain to 1 o'clock, I don't get that usual overdriven classic crunch I used to get before.

3.) This ones pretty WEIRD.. Whenever I switch channels from CH2 to CH1, I couldnt switch back to CH2, what happens when I switch back to CH2, I don't get any sound at all, what I do is that I put the amp onto standby, the switch from CH1 to CH2 then turn it on again, that's where I get the CH2. This one is weird. I don't know how this happens. Even when I switch via Footswitch or the Knob switches I get the same problem. Bottom line, I couldnt switch from CH1 to CH2 without turning the amp onto standby and turning it on again.

I would appreciate any help you could give me. Any tips or DIY stuff I could try(I currently live in the Philippines and don't have access to any Mesa service centers since they don't have one here) please feel free to tell me.

I spent almost a couple of hours diagnosing the problem and I still couldnt find a solution for it. I tried to switch the old tubes back and forth, switched the new ones in, tried a combination and still no luck.

I also tried to see if the speakers are giving me the problem and this is what I did:
There's one problem I isolated though, I'm not sure if this has something to do with the speaker cab but I tried to plug a different amp(15watt Marshall Mini) and I get a good sound. I'm using a Kenwood 8ohm 80watt speaker for my amp and I'm not sure if this has something to do with it since I was getting a good sound when I have my other amp plugged in to the speaker.

I would really appreciate any help and time that you could spend in helping or posting to help me out.
Thank you so much and Greetings from the Philippines!

-Louie V

Back