New F50 Owner

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r2dhart

Reaction score
About a month ago I picked up a used F50 1X12 Combo. I wasn't looking for a new amp but the manager of the store who knows me as a "regular" pointed it out to me and told me to check out the clean channel. "The clean channel?" I thought, "But it's a Mesa?" Well I don't need to tell you guys what I discovered. So it followed me home. I absolutely love it. I'm still experimenting with the dirty channel, which has some very good tones, but I've discovered that it can sound just like my Fender DRRI with a ProCo Rat 2 in front of it (previously how I got my dirty sounds).

One thing I am still looking for is a clean booster to put in front of it. I have a Deltalab TO1 (Tubescreamer clone) and a Boss SD-1 and while they are decent pedals I feel that they detract from the tone of the amp. I'm thinking about the new ToneBurst if I can locate one as well as the LPB-1, Cool Cat CTO, Boosta Grande, OCD, Pigtronix, etc. I might consider a treble booster like the screaming bird or BBE Freq Boost or an overdrive like the EHX Germanium Overdrive (use to have one of these and loved it). What do you guys use? I'm still going to come to my own conclusion but I would be interested to know.

I have a Cool Cat TO that I bought to use as a clean boost for my F50 and it works really well for that. Problem is it also sounds really good as an overdrive and I usually set it up for that. Guess I could get another...

Hey Guys!

I'm new to the board so please don't crucify me for nooby posts.

I bought myself the same 1x12 F-50 last year and am more than happy with it, amazing sound.

What guitar(s) do you play?

I used to play a V-twin tube floorpreamp whichworks well with humbucker guitars and has an amazing Channel called "blues" which boosts the mid's like a tube-screamer and allows the option for a clean boost and a sepperate Overdrive channel.

btw.: (stupid question) Have you found the "pull bright" on the clean gain knob? If not then maybe that could aid to a trebble boost, at least in the clean channel. I don't pull to bright because my Humbuckers are allready bright as they are.

What sound do you play? If you tend to Metal, the Boss MT-2 is a nice high-gain pedal!

I've recently been hearing good things about the CTO. I may have to check one out.

My main guitar is a PRS SE Custom 24 and I play blues rock, hard rock and country. I'm primarily looking for something to give my sound a little more "oompf" without drastically changing the basic tone.

Yes I'm familiar with the bright switch.

Latest posts

Back