New Tubes in my F30

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtthwshirley

Reaction score
So I was having an electrical ground loop noise issue that I thought was a tube in my F30 going bad cause I have had the same tubes for the last five years. I bought new tubes and replaced both. I realized that the ground loop was caused by my boomerang phrase sampler until I put it through the effect loop in the F30 (problem solved right). The next rehearsal I warmed the tubes for a few minutes and started to play. After about 30 seconds I started to smell burning and I looked in the back of the amp at the tubes and the power tube on the right was glowing red hot. Is this just a bad Power tube that bought or is this a sign of something else?

Question: Did you replace them with Mesa branded tubes, or, use a supplier that knows Mesa's specification for output tubes? Mesa is a fixed grid bias amp and if you did not use one of two above then that could be a problem as you may have purchased tubes that are too hot for your amp.

You can also get tubes that are just bad out of the box. Swap the red tube to another socket, turn on the stand-by and see if the glowing moves with the tube. If it does = bad tube - return for replacement. If the problem stays at the tube socket then you have bigger problems and if your not handy with taking an amp apart, handling a soldering iron and working around lethal voltages you would send it in for repair.

Good luck - Pat.

Back