F-50 Clean channel volume issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpierce1217

Reaction score
I have an F-50 combo and am having trouble with the clean channel... The volume keeps changing from what I think is a normal level, to extremely loud. Sometimes it is about the same volume as the distortion channel (meaning about the same volume when the master is at about the same level) an other times it is so loud that I have to turn the master and gain on the clean channel almost completely down all the way to mach the distortion channel's volume (when the distortion channel's master is about at 10:00).

The distortion channel is working perfectly, and the power tubes are pretty new. I just changed the V1 and V2 pre-amp tubes and I thought that had fixed it because it didn't happen again for a couple of band practices, but yesterday it started doing it again.

Need help ASAP, I am playing a show Saturday.

Mike

May be a bad LDR or FET switch, switching the extra gain stage in and out. May be a bad volume pot. I highly recommend you have an alternative amp for the gig.

It doesn't sound like something I can fix myself... I guess I'll plan on taking it in for repair... Do you know if it will be expensive to get fixed?

Depends on what it is. My experience with Mesa is that their repair charges are very reasonable, but shipping the heavy equipment is expensive.

The more repeatable the problem is, the cheaper it is to fix because they don't waste a lot of time trying to find it.

Thanks. When I find out what is wrong I'll post it. Is there any way that I can control the "extra gain stage" to always be on or off in the meantime?

I've been experimenting with it and it does seem like when it gets loud I can turn the gain down to get it to the normal volume and when it gets quiet (or at a normal volume) I can turn the gain back up to get back to the right volume, so I think you're right, the extra gain stage is is turning on and off.

I found an authorized mesa repair center about 45 min away from my house (so no need to ship), and they said repairs for a tube amp like mine are about $100 to $200 dollars unless it is something major, or it takes them a long time to diagnose it. I'll post what the problem was when I find out.

Mike

Hi,

I have the same issue with my F50 Combo.
Did you ever get to the bottom of what was happening?

Cheers
Tom

Latest posts

Back