F-50 lead one.....please 'splain.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevie C

Reaction score
Hello all.....I'm considering looking for an F-50. How would you describe the channel 2/lead tone? I've heard several descriptions ranging from scratchy and grainy, to fat and full, to Marshally, and even low gain. I have an F-30 that I aquired in a trade and I really like the gain level on channel 2. I never use the contour feature.....too metaloid for my taste. I guess I could say I'm looking for anything from a Billy Gibbons grind to a "slightly beefed Marshall" level of gain. What can I expect on the 50? All input would be appreciated. I'm also considering an Express 5:50, among other things. Thanks.

The F50 has a lot of flexibility. It is very punchy and dynamic, and the controls have a lot of range. So you can go from very little gain to quite a lot (not as much as a Mark, though). The tone tends to be more crispy or crunchy than singing/liquid, though contour gets you more of the liquid sort of saturation. The tone controls give you a fair ability to alter the tone, but most amps have a pretty specific voice, and the tone knobs can't really change that.

It has a bit of rectifier grind in it as well.

And they're LOUD.

It will be a lot like your F30, but with more punch and less saturation. You may find that you like the contour on the F50 because it gets you closer to the F30 tone. The low end holds up at higher volume as well, and the clean has more headroom.

Live, they cut through like crazy - no problem getting heard.

I had one of those for a little while and one thing I can tell you for sure is there is no billy gibbons or marshall in there what so ever. But on the other hands the f 50 has one of the best clean mesa has ever done and it takes pedals very well. I used mine strictly on the clean channel and had the tone bone plexitube in front for marshall and such. Worked very ell that way.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm condisering an Express 5:50 also. I like the functionality of this amp. I have a Rectoverb series II combo I'm selling.....I'm really not a Recto guy, plus the weight factors in due to my surgically repaired neck. The F and the 5:50 are more do-able for me.....even better if I can get a head. We'll see what happens.

The burn channel on the express is alot better than the lead channel on the f 50. The cleans on the express are pretty good also. You'll be happy with one of those.

"Better" is in the ear of the listener...

I played an F50 (my second) side by side with a 5:50 and bought the F50. I liked the tone better. My take on the two is here: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=58195&p=409474

elvis said:
"Better" is in the ear of the listener...

I played an F50 (my second) side by side with a 5:50 and bought the F50. I liked the tone better. My take on the two is here: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=58195&p=409474

Sorry, you are right, I should have included IMHO i my statement. I stand corrected.

Nope it wasn't, For information's sake we should try to give as unbiased opinions as possible when someone asks for help like this. But now that you've mentioned it the burn on the express IS better than channel two on the f 50 :D

Latest posts

Back