The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:11 am 
Bottle Rocket

talltxguy wrote:
I've never had the opportunity to play an F-series but was wondering what some of you who have played them thought of the reverb. The reverb is not tube driven on the F-series amps.

I've seen a bit of negativity expressed toward the reverb on these amps, and I think it is a little overblown to be honest. Though, I guess it does depend on what your application is.

My thoughts - for general tonal enhancements/thickening/etc. the reverb is perfectly fine. If you are doing a night of Dick Dale covers, it's probably not going to work. I basically use reverb to give things a bit of depth and wetness, and I've never had any complaints with it. In contrast...here are my other comparison points at my disposal:

-On board reverb of my Fender Vibroverb '64 custom RI.
-Strymon Flint.

For general "tonal sweetening" I like the on-board reverb on the F-50 better than the Flint, but not as much as my VV.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:56 pm 
Mark II

I go back and forth with the reverb on my F50. If you turn it up past 1, it gets a bit out of control and over powering, so I tend to leave mine on clean channel only about .5-.75 on the dial. Anything more is silly.

I wish this had a tube reverb where one could play the tube game to get better control from the circuit. Then again I bought this amp for the contour channel .

Custom F50 head with matched 3/4 back 1x12
Custom F50 Combo
'87 Roland Cube 60 keyboard CK60
'88 Roland Cube 100 Keyboard CK100

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:21 pm 
Mark I

I have an f100 2/12 combo and it is crazy loud. It is my first mesa and first real quality amp. Got it in trade for a Taylor 712, kinda regret making that trade from time to time but that is another story. It is a good amp and I am thankful the SOB has wheels. It does sound it's best cranked way up. Favorite loud tone out of this amp is clean channel gain all the way up, bass about 1 or 2, mid and treble about half and volume loud enough to run you out of the room.
Contour has a little bit too much bite for my ears. I also run and mxr 10 band eq through the fx loop....makes a world of difference, especially at low volumes. Reverb quit working though. I also run a Vox tonelab through it too and also an Apogee Jam. The Jam is cool because some of the apps have drum machines built in to them so you can get good overdrive and clean drums coming out of the amp at the same time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:13 pm 
Mark I

This migh sound strange but i think they should have called it something else than F-50 or F-100, which sounds like an aircraft. More in the lines of Blue Angle, Express etc.

That beeing said, there is allways a chance that the amp is going to be re-discovered.

I thing the reverb is OK on the F series, but not in the same leag as some of the newest mesa amps.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:55 pm 
Bottle Rocket

The reverb is not the best aspect of the F-50, in my opinion. It does the job but nothing to get excited about.

Everytime I plug into a MESA dual recto, or some of their new micro heads... their gain stages are "fuzzier" than my F-50.

Somebody stated it's more like a Soldano, and that is correct. It's gain is pretty tight, no flab on the bottom. Even without gates and compression, it's fairly tight
chunk. It sounds like a Marshall using a pedal but smoother, pure tube-like.

But the real surprise is playing blues through the clean... damn... it's amazing!!! Finally an amp that really, really fattens single note stuff
on a Strat or Tele. No shrill biting leads, just satiny smooth sustain, and FAT.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:58 am 
Mark I

I bought a used F-50 about two years ago. Went in to buy a DSL used and walked out with the F-50. I keep thinking I want the new mini mark because of the versatility but to do it I would have to part with My F-50 and I'm not sure I can do that. I like the F-50 distortion and boost it with a spark boost sometimes if needed. A little delay and that's really about all I need. The mini mark is tempting because of the versatility and formats I play I think it would be awesome but the F-50 is a great amp in my opinion. I get lots of compliments when I play out regarding how good it sounds.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:29 pm 
Mark I

I have had a F-30 for a couple of weeks. liking it so far but the crunch and contour channels are noisy. Even with my noise gate.. is there any fix for this? and I barley have the gain past 1/4 turn. I also have a Rectoverb 50 combo and it isn't as noisy as the F-30.

Amps
Mesa F-30 Combo
Mesa Rectoverb 50 Combo