Re-tubing my F30

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildwind

Reaction score
I'm looking for anyone's "hot setup" for this amp. The JJs that came in it have come out - preamp tubes were voiced for metal. I'm a rock/blues guy mainly and don't need or want a lot of gain. I do need low noise.

The preamp tubes in there now are some older Mesa tubes I had laying around - and the amp sounds very good - but I want to replace all of them (EL84s included - JJs are in there now).

Of special interest is the SPAX7 tube that Mesa sells, strongly considering using these for V1 and V2. I'm not really using the loop, so unless V3 affects other things, it may not be critical.

Any advice? Not real concerned with cost, but don't want to go too nuts.

New Mesa tubes are allegedly JJ. I have been underwhelmed with both new Mesa tubes and a set of JJs I bought for my Studio pre. I like the idea that Doug's has. He sells multiple tube types and recommends rolling them. I also am finding that in a set of 5, one new Mesa tube goes bad almost immediately. every time. That's lousy quality.

For power tubes, winged C always get good reviews.

I tried SPAX7 tubes in my first F50 They are horrible. No gain. I think they can rate them as low noise because they are also low signal. And they're outrageously pricey for a crappy 12AX7.

Latest posts

Back