Best Clean Boost Pedal for F-50?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greyblooz

Reaction score
Yesterday I tried boosting my G&L Legacy with a Barber Launchpad through the F-50's clean channel. I'm trying to get more gain out of this channel for rock lead sounds but didn't really get all the way there with that set up. I've also tried using a Nobels ODR-1 dialed for clean boost but didn't get there.

Is there anyone out there who can share any fun experiences pushing this amp with a good clean booster or "transparent" overdrive?

Xotic EP-Booster. Sounds fantastic, so good I leave it on all the time just for the tone. But it's a great sounding boost pedal as well. Internal dip switches let you tailor the tone a bit; otherwise, just one knob. And it's tiny. And a good bargain for boutique quality (under $120 new).

When you say works the same, you mean sounds the same, right?

Have you messed with the internal dip switches yet?

I don't have the cash for any new toys this month, but realized I can use my Boss PQ-4 and Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer as clean boosts for the F-50.

The PQ-4 works great for this. Lots of gain, and control obviously. Tweaking was surprisingly intuitive.

The Orange Squeezer really didn't have as much power as I thought, at least not with my mild compression setting. However, it did work very well in front of the PQ-4 for added sustain.

Yes, sounds the same. Both are clean gain that don;t seem to color the tone much. I assume they are simple opamp circuits. I have no idea if there are internal switches, as that would require reading a manual :lol:

You got my interest. I checked the EP Boost, and apparently there ARE switches. I have no interest in the "vintage" mode. But I will try the bass boost. That could be a really cool solo feature.

Cool, let us know your impressions if you get down and mess with'em.

Re the MXR Micro Amp, I've heard that not all are created equal. Is there any truth to that. (Sorry if this is too far off topic.)

Opened up my EP Booster. Then rechecked the manual. Looks like they got rid of the bass boost and turned it into just an extra boost of some sort - they call it a "3dB boost". Oh well. Pedal works well, either way.

I don't know anything about the Micro Amps, other than I bought one new a couple months ago, and it works great. Perfectly (to my ears) transparent, and lots of boost range.

Back