Vintage 30 replacement

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildwind

Reaction score
Have an F30 combo with V30. I like it but don't love it. I'm curious to hear stories of speaker swaps, good or bad. Or any suggestions or exhortations.

What started this is I had my F30 at a friends today. He does not like V30s at all. We plugged into an old Boogie 1-12 with a 100W Celestion (don't remember the model - G12H?) - nothing special. We plugged into his Guytron with a Bigtone 55W - yeah, that was sweet. How it would translate to the smaller F30 cab is yet to be seen - no doubt you'd lose some bass and the Mesa focus would affect it a bit. The Guytron cabinet is much larger, almost as big as a 2x12. But the amp really came to life with this speaker.

He has a Celestion Greenback, but I ran out of time. I'll get back to it soon.

Anyway, any ideas? I just want to sweeten it up a bit like the Guytron speaker (which are $135 new - yikes!), but I'm sure there are many choices. Compared to the Guytron, the V30 had a harsher high end and something going on in the mids that was annoying, hard to describe. The amp is rarely run hard, less than half-volume. We aren't a loud band and the amp is mic'd so the PA is doing the heavy lifting.

Thanks!

Update - bought the Guytron Bigtone 55 ($100 plus $15 shipping new). Worthy upgrade! I'm very pleased. I know this speaker is still a bit obscure, but we tried one with several different amps and compared it to some pretty cool speakers, and it was the clear winner.

Back