Neodymium Speakers - Worth their weight?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greyblooz

Reaction score
Hey, has anyone tried any lighter neodymium magnet speakers in their combo?

Last weekend's gig really left my legs feeling sore moving my F-50 in and out of the venue, after running around all day setting up the PA and DJ'ing for a wedding before/after the live music.

So I'd like to try an Eminence Lil' Texas in my amp. Their website says the magnet is only 4oz, which is about 2 lbs less than the other speakers I looked at which are about 38oz. I'm wondering if that would really make a difference.

http://www.eminence.com/guitar-bass/patriot-series/

Does anyone have any idea how heavy the Boogie Black Shadow is, specifically the magnet?

From a forum, similar info to other sources:

Coming from the makers point of view, Neo is primarily used on small drivers due to its high output relative to size. Usually as part of a size limited volume assembly (e.g. audio modules used in flat panel TV's).
Going large with Neo is mostly cost prohibitive + cooling issues as the magnetic output can be adversely affected by increases in moderate to higher environmental temperatures. The driver's output is potentially more variable.

Ferro remains the material of choice. Its magnetic properties can be varied according to the material grade and its less effected by temperature variation. Down-side is size and weight.

Some folks debate the relative acoustic merits but flux to flux D. output from either material broadly measures the same when size/output is proportionally applied to driver builds. I've built same 2" drivers both in Neo and Ferro motors, nothing much between them in anechoic and listening tests.

I used to have a nice .22+. Originally I replaced the stock Black Shadow speaker with a Celestion Vintage 30. It was heavenly, a perfect match for the amp IMO. I foolishly sold this amp - then bought it back a couple of years later. The Black Shadow was back in place, so I had to swap it again. I was trying to lighten up the amp and bought the Celestion Neodymium version of the V30 - can't remember what it was called. It did lighten the amp up a bunch, but I never could get it to sound right and finally sold the amp for good (replaced it with an F30).

I've noticed these lightweight speakers have not caught on in the guitar amp world. I suspect this is the reason. My experience is limited to just this amp, but I have no interest in trying again, barring some breakthrough in the technology. Believe me, I'd love to shave a few pounds off my F30. After hauling gear for 40 years, lighter is always a big deal.

I recently purchased a Celestion Century Vintage Neo, after years of wondering finally decided to take a leap of faith and get one.

I'm a big V30 fan but also have other cabs with CL80's, Alnico Golds, Heritage celestions.

So far I'm impressed, seems smoother than the v30 with less mid spike and less of a shrill top end but less bottom end too. Articulate and tight in feel, less sensitive so perceived quieter.

Still not given it a full test at 'live' band levels so might find the lack of mid spike that helps cut the mix with the V30 and lower sensitivity lets it down.

Hope that helps

Latest posts

Back