2nd Hand F-50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holdenc17

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought an F-50 for £500 off eBay. The guy I bought it off played in West End theatre shows, so I presume it's had a lot of use. When I asked him about the valves he said that they'd NEVER been replaced, which by my calculations would mean they're around maybe 5-6 years old?

I was expecting to have to fit a new set, but the thing is the amp sounds totally amazing. I was using a Vox AD120VT (digital modelling amp) previously and I'd always thought that was a pretty good sounding piece of kit but compared to the Mesa, well I just can't listen to to the Vox now, it seems so poor in comparison. But it doesn't just sound good compared to the Vox, my mate Dave also has an F-50 and I think mine sounds even better than his.

So the crux of the matter is should I change the valves simply because of their age even though they still sound fantastic?

I play at home and really only crank it up once a fortnight in a rehearsal room.

Whaddya reckon?

The power tubes WILL go bad eventually. They are a standard maintenance item. The fear would be that they go bad explosively, taking out the protection resistors as well. However, this can happen with new tubes, too. Your mistake for buying an amp that runs on light bulbs :lol:

Latest posts

Back