F-30 effects loop - signal booster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheekymonkey

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been having some difficulty with controlling volumes when switching from rythym to lead playing using my tubescreamer. On the clean channel I get a nice boost with just enough overdrive.

On the dirty channel I hear a bit more overdrive but I don't get anywhere enough of a signal boost to cut through the mix.

I have tried to boostteh signal by rolling on the guitar volume but I prefer using the pedal.

Both channels are set at approx. the same volume before I use the boost. I tried the tubescreamer, blues driver and a SS pramp pedal with the same results.

Could someone explin why there is a different increase in volumes across the 2 channels?

I tried putting the boost pedal(s) in the effects loop and found the boost was consistently more to my liking between the 2 channels. I then read that this was potentially harmful for the amp because you are putting a larger signal into the amp than would come from the amp's preamp.

Does anyone have any experience they can share with me? Thanks for reading.

Hi,
I use a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster to switch between overdrive and "lead" on my F50 . It provides variable gain with a flat EQ. Great pedal.

Alternatively I would recommend an old Marshall Guv'nor (2nd hand from eBay), or a Fulltone OCD - both of these boxes will colour the tone however.

Best regards,

Charlie.

Assuming you have some distortion already on the lead channel, it will act as a limiter for front-end boost. The clean channel has more headroom, so it will produce a larger voltage change with front-end boost.

You should be fine with a loop boost. You are running into a 12AX7 through a small resistor. The plate voltage on the 12ax7 is more than 300V. The pedal can't put out more than 9V worth of signal. I can't imagine how you could damage the amp. You could clip the 12ax7, but that's what you're doing anyway.

Latest posts

Back