2x12 Recto-cab + 2x12 half attached to the f50, is possible?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucone24

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and I hope this than others can provide the right assistance that I try, I own a Mesa F50 combo and I want to know if you can connect over the 1x12 that mounts both a recto 2x12 cab, so for sounding the same time the front-cab and the Black Shadow ....
or else if you can connect both a recto 2x12 cab and a 2x12 mesa boogie but always half back ...
in theory In either case, just connect the cables to the two 4 ohm input jack, right?

You confused me a bit.

You got an f-50 combo?

Then you can do this.

A) happy lugging around weight, because you can connect two 2x12 cabinets!!! Then you'll have a 4x12 combination but the f-50 will be a "head". Its own speaker will be disconnected. You connect them to the 4ohm sockets, if they are 8 ohm each or 16 ohm each (not 4 ohm each please. It re wires it internally and gives half a load: with two 4ohm cabs, you will get a 2 ohm load...not good for your transformers for continuous use!).

b) You can get it to drive the internal speaker and an extension cab at the same time. Obviously you will benefit from the same ohmage. An 8 ohm cab. As a result I'd strongly advise to get a 1x12 cab. from my experience hooking up a 1x12 with a 2x12 creates a 3 speaker combo in which the internal speaker gets half the watt say 25, and the cab gets the other 25 but reshares them to its speakers. As a result your new combo will get, a 12 inch with 25 watts and two 12 inches with 12,5 watts each which means that the internal speaker will always be louder. Plus you'll stack the combo on the other cab and you always hear it on ear level. Not that it won't match but I'd go for a 1x12 to keep wattage sharing equal.

In this case something like a widebody closed or ported cab with another flavour for a speaker (EVM12L or V30) may be a better solution in theory.

Yes, I have a F50 combo, in the near future, I can connect (excluding the speaker combos) two 2x12 (Recto-Cab-Cab + Express) to the two inputs in parallel for 4 ohms, but for the moment I use the 1x12 combo combined with a 2x12 recto-cab, I could leave the combo speaker attached to its dedicated input and then connect the 2x12 to a 4 ohm inputs, would be fine?

I think not. In the manual, it says that two 8 ohms cabs/speakers (the 2x12 and the combo's speaker respectively) should be connected both, to the 4 ohm sockets at the back. That way, they are wired in parallel inside the combo and as a result, the ohmage are converted to half, 4ohms, which is what the combo wants to see from those two sockets.

So it is, disconnect the plug from the combo speaker (c90) from the 8 ohm socket plug it in the 4 ohm socket and plug the cab in the other 4 ohm socket. It will work but as I said, the cab will get half the wattage and then half it to each speakers whereas the c90 will get the other half and will always sound louder. Also, you are only going to mic one speaker aren't you? Unless you'd like the 2x12 sound and mic that one I wouldn't take the hassle for a 3x12. I'd definately make a headshell for the f-50 and make it a head for this kind of connections...

It will be a great way to pack it with those 2 2x12 in the future.

Back