F-30 Parallel to Series FX mod results?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggc

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I'm new to the board, but I've been enjoying my F-30 combo for several years now. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding the parallel to series FX loop mod. I found an explanation of how to perform the mod, and it seems pretty simple, so I was thinking of giving it a try.

I use a Line 6 M-13 for effects, and use the 4 cable method so I can route effects into the amp or through the loop. The problem is, since the M-13 doen't have a 100% wet output, if I don't set the effects volume at full, I get a comb filtering effect, but when I set the effects volume at full, I lose flexibility (I can't for example have loud or quiet delay effects, I have to settle for something in between, because the only control I get for effects volume is the FX loop mix knob).

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has done the mod, and how you feel about the results...What are the advantages/disadvantages...etc...

Thanks very much in advance!

p.s.
I'm not very handy, but this looks like a pretty simple soldering job...Is there anything that I need to be particularly careful of poking around inside of an amp?

Thanks again!

I would definitely change the effects loop to series,it's the only way to get the Line 6 M13 to work right.I was thinking about getting the Line 6 M13,Digitech RP1000,or the TC Electronic Nova System.I ended up getting the TC Electronic Nova System.

I changed the effects loop on the F-30 to series and I have'nt had any problems with it so far.It's a simple modification,all you need is a soldering iron(looks just like a woodburner) and needlenose wire clippers.I even used the little bit of solder that was on the first wire to connect it to the second.I used electrical tape to seal up the third wire after I disconnected it.

The funny thing is I don't understand just what is a parallel effects loop is good for?From what I can tell most effects units don't work with them.Maybe that's why the new Express model has a series loop.

I'm not very handy either but this modification is easy to do.Make sure you get the diagram of it from Mesa Boogie.Have them E-mail it to you.The modification is the same as the Nomad one.Be sure you are careful with the chassis after you unscrew the 4 top screws.The chassis can rest on a little ledge just below it while you do the soldering.

Whenever you use a time effect it will always be a parallel loop. the point is, will the mix occur in the amp? or in the pedal? the amp parallel loop, retains the sound internally as it was designed to be. Problems occur with digital effects due to signal time misallignement I think (the digital one is slightly slower). So it is best, to use full wet in the back.

In a custom amp I'd use a parallel loop for delay etc and a serial loop for eq or anything else.

You know what does'nt make sense is i tried using a MXR Carbon Copy Anolog Delay Pedal in the effects loop on the F-30 and it worked alright for a minute then I started getting what is called combing feedback I guess.It sounded like the amp was farting real loud.The minute I turned the pedal off it stopped.

If a parallel effects loop works good for time based effects,why did'nt the MXR Delay Pedal work right?It is time a time based effect.I still think parallel effects loops are useless.I would go with the series loop.

I also got that with a boss dd3 and I don't know why. Also theset two are two of the most well known and respected delay effects. Even more strange is that several people report succesfull use of the parallel loop (although in the f-50 mostly) with effects that need serial loop to work right. Post eq's volume patches etc. They use tc g-major rack units (see harmony-central mesa f-series lounge). Also there are a couple clips on youtube with the f-30 using eq pedals without a problem at loud volumes. Mesa...mystery.

Does anyone have a schematic, or just an explaination for what wires to clip or move, for this modification ? I have an F-30 and use external effect pedals. Thanks

Latest posts

Back