Love for the F-30

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudleydawson

Reaction score
slow forum for the F-series!
let's treat it like a therapy session...

i had the budget to buy a lonestar... but was coaxed away by the gain of the F-50... then i decided to compare the F-50 to the F-30...
i spent two hours A/B'ing the two of the them and just couldn't get the lead sounds on the 50 that i liked about the 30. (did that make sense?)

5 years later - this is still my #1 amp. and i still find inspiration in it every time i play!
recently picked up a mesa 3/4 back 112 - the big sound and darkness of that cab really complements the combo sound well... i can't get enough of playing this setup - running this thing with a TS808 (and an analogman TSsilver/mod) - i get lead tones to die for! ...and the cleans are fat, bright and full... with high output single coils i get nasty (in a good way) blues tones all day.

on the boogie board especially it seems easy to get feelings of inadequacy when my boogie is so simple and is barely fetching $500 used these days... but this amp is a monster!

so in my best stuart smalley voice - i'm proudly standing up and proclaiming -I love my F-30! - and that's ok!

dudleydawson said:
so in my best stuart smalley voice - i'm proudly standing up and proclaiming -I love my F-30! - and that's ok!

I got a chuckle out of your post. I still love my F-30. I recently picked up a David Bray Plexi. After cranking the plexi for a while, I thought, gee, I wonder if my little boogie will clean up on the guitar volume if I crank the f-30 to 2 or 3 oclock. Sure enough, the little boogie (once again) showed my why it's my goto amp. Anyone for a Plexi? ;)

**** I played my f-30 again at the studio this time back to back with my studio preamp. All in its own poweramp and speaker and the studio pre also in a 6L6 plus an altec speaker.

The studio preamp has a magical lead tone probably the best I've heard in my life through crancked EL84, the mids smooth your ear.

But the f-30 has its own thing going, dark thick and heavy at the same time!

Love this amp. Has anybody tried brighter speakers than the f-30?

Back