Reverb problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshyLarry

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a F30 combo that gets a loud hum/howl when the reverb tank is plugged in and the gain is turned near 2-3 oclock. I tried a spare tank and the noise went away. So I bought a replacement for the amp, http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/Reverb-Tanks/M8AB2A1B-Reverb-Tank-Mesa-Boogie-Style-3-Spring

Now, when I plugged it in I get nothing, no reverb at all. Has anyone used the Mojo tank? Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Are you sure the cables are plugged in well and not reversed? It sounds silly, but these are very common errors.

Check the tube as well (is the reverb tube driven on that amp?).

Hey, I swapped the plugs just to make sure but didn't make a difference. Also, F30 doesn't have tube reverb. I did replace all the tubes ~6months ago when this problem first became apparent. I figured it was a bad preamp tube but didn't help.

sometimes the jack breaks on the connecting cable when you swap out the tanks. Did you test continuity on the cable ends?

Hey Larry -

Did you get this sorted out?

MOJO tanks aren't likely to work well with a Mesa reverb circuit. We usually employ somewhat customized tanks to work in our circuits so the best replacement tank will always be one from Mesa. Some non-Mesa tanks could work but would likely not sound the same.

If you tried Reverb related tubes, this sounds like a spring in the tank broke loose and may be laying over the remaining suspended springs. Just a guess but sometimes worth a shake of the tank (once disconnected) to see if something sounds looser than 3 springs bouncing around off one another but still be suspended. Curious if you got this fixed.

From the link you provided, the tank you bought was marked "M8AB2A1B".
The "M" must mean Mojo, but the other numbers - 8AB2A1B - need to match the numbers on the old tank, or it may not work.

Back