Ruby 6L6's for my F-50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamabaxter

Reaction score
Just got a F-50 about a week ago. It is an amazing amp, no doubt. Still had the stock Mesa tubes in it and they had definitely seen better days. Ordered a set of Ruby 6L6's for it and wow what an amazing difference it made. I think they sound a little warmer/smoother than the stock ones. The Mesa's were a little fuzzy on the high end. Thinking of trying JJ's next just to see what kind of difference it would make. Should I go ahead and get new 12AX7's also? Any recommendations? I like a good heavy crunch tone sort of like Black Label Society. What Overdrive Pedals are you guys running? I got a Boss SD-1 that has the Monte Allum's mod...and it sounds great but still not quite driven enough.

Were the 6L6s you got compatible with the fix bias of your f-50? And any f-50 for that regard. Or is your f-50 modified to change the bias whenever you get new tubes? Because if it is not what you hear is not warmer tubes but perhaps wrong biased tubes inside of an amplifier designed to work in specific bias values. I do not know honestly if they are wrong biased or if the salesman checked them to see if they were compatible with mesa boogie's fixed bias rating. If they were then they function properly in your amp. What I am trying to say is that maybe you can't just switch tubes by brand but you have got to make sure they are in mesa's specs. Mesa does this: buys tubes from other manufacturers checks them to see if they are in spec and brands them mesa tubes. Then when somebody buys them he can justo put them in the amp with no worries at all

Yes, they were biased for Mesa Specs. No worries there. I did a lot of research before I even bought the amp and especially the tubes. I got them from Doug's Tubes which is the place that most recommend. He asks that you even call and talk to him before ordering so that he can make sure that you are ordering the correct tubes for your gear.

I would at least change the Phase inverter driver tube which is V4, that is the one that should also be changes with new output tubes, it is one of the hardest working tubes in the amp.

Latest posts

Back