F-30 vs F-50 volume

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lttoler

Reaction score
I have an F-50 now but am thinking about getting an F-30. How are the differences in volume? The F-50 is way to loud for me. Thanks!

The F-30 is also pretty loud. So it really depends what you want it for. If its for home/bedroom use then it is probably not the best choice. If its for gigging with the F-50 has better headroom than the F-50 but the F-30 comes into its own when played loud.

Maybe you need to consider a Marshall Power Brake or a THD hotplate.

It is not as loud as the 50, but it has to be on or around 3 to get some punch, which pretty loud for bedroom. I think it has a more usable power band for gigging small to medium stuff than the F50, and it's pretty fun to get the power section up and going especially through a 4X12.

Well I will just be using it for practice and small to medium club gigs. I like the F-50 but seems like it sounds better cranked way up. This is too loud and we will be miced at most clubs and going through the PA anyways. I was hoping the 30 was a good bit lower in volume so I can crank it up and not blow everyone away. I play mainly through a 2x12 cab. Any more info would be greatly appreciated!!!

I bought the F-30 specifically for the same reason as you, and use it mic'd up through the PA.
I have only had it for a couple of weeks and done three gigs with it.
I was a little dissappointed with channel 2 at first, but found that cutting down on the PA input volume and turning the amp up gave me a better sound for our small pub / club gigs.
I also use my BB Preamp pedal with channel 1 to give me a sound between blues break-up and hi-gain (sort of 70's Marshall).
I love the F-30 and use it with a PRS Swamp Ash Special. We play covers, and with a basic set of pedals (chorus, delay, wah, and pre-amp boost) you can have a very flexible setup covering nearly everything from 70's rock, U2, funk through to the Kaiser Chiefs.

The F-30 is tiny and easy to carry, costs me 1/2 of what a 5:25 was on sale for. I may get another 1x12 mesa cabinet at some point, but am loving this simple easy to use and transport setup.

I was told that the valves run very hot in this amp so I keep a spare set of JJ,s in the footswitch pouch (as the switch is on by pedal board).

Hope this helps

I've owned both and currently still have the F-50. The F-30 is definitely lower volume but still gets loud. Something to keep in mind is they sound different.
Here is what I've found. (ymmv)
The F-30 has a smoother, more compressed overdrive and a much more chimey & pristine clean channel.
The F-50 has a more raw punchier in your face overdrive and a warmer clean channel.

The F-30 is a lot more portable.

You should be fine being miked up with a F50, good all around rock amp that leans on the Mark side of things. It just needs to be about as loud as the drummer to get things happening, which is normal with most amps. What it does better than the F30 is clean head room, as the F30 starts to break up a little sooner.

Will the F 30 and 50 cut through a band setting (Drums, 2nd Guitar,Bass) or will the F100 better??

I have an F-50 and it cuts thru fine. My combo was one of the house amps at an annual outdoor jam. I put it on top of a 212 cab I have(though prolly not needed)and it kept up to a miked drum set and a pretty capable pa without breaking a sweat.

The short answer, yes. I use mine when I'm to lazy to haul all my crap and can do so on the floor or even better on a tilt stand. And as stated before a BB Preamp kills with this amp. I did a little outdoor gig with just the clean channel and the BB and was blown away by the tone I was getting WITHOUT a bunch of gear. Great amp.

F50 is too loud????

I had one, and borrowed another one aswell, mine was one without a badge (early), the one I borrowed was almost new, with the badge of course, and the original valves, hardly been used.
Both F50's were bedroom level with both gain and master at half, I had to use an E.Q. pedal to boost the volume up with the volume level to get enough to play with an UN miked drummer and band, and turn the things nearly full aswell. FANTASTIC SOUND, BEST I HAVE EVER PLAYED THROUGH, but very quiet, apart from the gain channel which is as loud as hell, but the type of sound which is completely unusable to me.

30 and 50 watts will give you NO difference in volume that a human can hear.

You have to multiply by 10 to double volume as a rule, so 500 watts is TWICE as loud as 50 watts. 30 to 50 is nothing at all, you might notice the clean stays clean longer, but thats it.

Watts do not equal volume one 50 watt amp might be a lot louder than another 50 watt amp.

The Rectoverb 50 watt combo 1x12 is MILES and MILES louder than the F50.
The Tremoverb 100 watt 2x12 combo is A LOT quieter than the 50 watt Rectoverb, even with the bold and diode on.

Yes but still I don't think that f-30 has 30 watts continuous power. I own it by the way. It only has 2 el84's, whereas other amps need twice as much to get 30 watts of power. Maybe under certain conditions, distorted the dyna watt gives 30 watts by doing something with the bias, but it is very apparent in the clean channel. Many ss combos of 60 watts are "cleaner" than my f-30.

You can do the log db thing all day but the truth is the difference also comes down to what your ear can percieve as loudness and the fact that the v30 is also very differen in that factor than the c-90 in the f-50.

Latest posts

Back