Best tubes for f 50 combo...That dont RATLLE!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PainsPulse

Reaction score
Title says it all. I bought jj 6l6's a few months ago and I think they are whats rattling so bad. The pre amp tubes, i believe, are stock and fairly old. So what tubes do you think work best for the f 50? I don't need any more gain just an overall better and more articulate tone.

I have jj 6l6s and they don't rattle. luck of the draw I guess. I absolutely loved the jj preamp tubes in my f30 combo. it got rid of the hiss in the clean channel and made the distortion channel crunchier and tighter. totally recommend them!

My new (well, only played in the shop) F50 sounded good but I replaced the tubes anyway and keep the originals as spare.

I put SED Winged C's 6L6 and TungSol's reissue in V1, V2 and V4 (balanced), V3 is still Mesa, and it sounded a bit livelier but the improvement was not dramatic. Maybe a bit warmer at low volume

A few weeks later I swapped the TungSol in V2 with an EH I had lying arround (a V1 specially selected mind you!) and channel two got obviously creamier. TungSol was more grainy. Not better or worse just different but right now I prefer the EH creamy tone.

Cheers
Fabien

sounds like a good tube (the eh). may have to try one! im trying to not get sucked into the tube swapping trap again though!

I meant to also say that I have all new mesa relabeled jjs in my stiletto with a tungsol in v1 and really like the tone...

+1
fabien said:
My new (well, only played in the shop) F50 sounded good but I replaced the tubes anyway and keep the originals as spare.

I put SED Winged C's 6L6 and TungSol's reissue in V1, V2 and V4 (balanced), V3 is still Mesa, and it sounded a bit livelier but the improvement was not dramatic. Maybe a bit warmer at low volume

A few weeks later I swapped the TungSol in V2 with an EH I had lying arround (a V1 specially selected mind you!) and channel two got obviously creamier. TungSol was more grainy. Not better or worse just different but right now I prefer the EH creamy tone.

Cheers
Fabien

MusicManJP6 said:
...im trying to not get sucked into the tube swapping trap again though!...

You're right, experimenting with tube is fun and instructive but like with any gear you must settle down and get back to work on your playing otherwise the permanent swapping can get obsessive and will get you nowhere.

as far as the rattling goes, check to make sure the tube is seated properly. one of my tubes was rattling a bit and i made sure they were all on tight and one wasnt and no more rattling now!

Back