F-30 /w Tone Tubby

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oomph

Reaction score
A few months ago, I bought my first Mesa Boogie AMP and LOVE it. It came with a Tone Tubby speaker installed and the guy that I purchased it from seemed to think that it originally came that way and was ordered custom. As far as I know, I'm the 3rd owner of this AMP and it was kept its previous owners kept it in excellent condition.

My question is....... Can anyone confirm whether or not MESA ever shipped these amps with Tone Tubbys? Or was the guy that I purchased the AMP under the wrong assumption? It does look professionally installed.

Either way, it's a wonderful AMP. It's so versatile compared to my old Fender Hot Rod Deville and I love the tone.

Since they stopped making them, I've never gotten the opportunity to listen to another F30 with a Black Shadow installed in it. Does anyone know how it would compare? I was able to compare it to a 5:25 and preferred my AMP over it hands down.

I've also listened to my friends F50 and there is a significant difference in terms of power and gain, but lots might also have to do with the 6L6 tubes installed on it vs the EL84's. Both AMPs sound great. I can get better heavy distorted sounds from the F50, but the F30 seems to overdrive nicer while keeping a crisp tone. I'd be interested in hearing some opinions or observations.

Thanks!

The Tone Tubby is not a speaker that shipped with your amp, it should of came with a Vintage 30. Keep the Tubby!
The F30 does sound quite a bit different than the F50 because of the EL84 output section BUT, wait till you plug that sucker into a good 4x12. For me it has the perfect powerband/grind/sound for small to medium clubs. I did a gig with my F30 and a 2X12, and honestly couldn't believe how good it sounded. The fist set we were pushed for time so had to plug straight in, and was totally impressed with the sound albeit a little to METAL for what we play. Second set used the clean channel and a BB Preamp for dirt and was in tube amp heaven! I think the key with the F30 is that it needs to be turned up a bit to get the power section going, and maybe a bigger extension cab. If you get a chance try a Zendrive or ZVex in the clean channel with the volume cranked up, you won't be disappointed!

yeah, I'm really liking the sound of the tone tubby. I noticed from reading other forums that people use that speaker quite a bit in their F30's.

Right now, I'm using a Fulltone OCD pedal and plan on taking a look at the BB Pre-amp. It's a nice pedal, but not sure if I need to play around with it more before making a final verdict.

What other pedals would you suggest trying out with it?
I was thinking of trying the Barber Electronics LTD
Which Zvex pedal are you referring to?

I'd be interested in hearing what other F30 owners are using.

Thanks for the response!

The ZVex Box of Rock was my favorite, but any good booster/overdrive should do the trick. My friend used a Keely Blues Driver and a Blackstone for a while and sounded fine to me. I just lean towards a heavier sound. I like the BB out of all of them for some reason, but again the amp has to be at or around gig volume.

I just picked up a Barber Tone Press and Crunchbox pedal today, going to compare the crunchbox to the ocd.

I did all the rack stuff some time ago (studio preamp and 50/50 then triaxis and 2:90) fantastic sounds but too heavy.
After a brief period with Bogner I have returned to the Mesa fold and got myself an F30.
Its a fantastic amp and in my opinion, a better gigging amp than the 5:25.

I also use a BB Preamp on the clean channel and now have 4 channels at my disposal.
You have made a great choice as these little amps are really cheap.

The EL84s run very hot so keep a spare set handy if you gig a lot with it.

good choice!!

Latest posts

Back