F50 Mods!

F-30, 50 and 100's

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

Monsta-Tone
Donating Member

F50 Mods!

Post by Monsta-Tone » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:36 am

I just sold my Heartbreaker and picked up an F50. Mainly because the HB weighed 90 pounds and didn't have enough gain for me anymore!
I only got to try it for a few minutes last night, but I really like the gain channel.
I didn't really find a clean setting that felt right to me, too stiff, but I can tell it's in there if I can get it set right.

Unfortunately, my wife didn't like the volume!

I'm planning on adding a few mods and will share them here when I'm done.
Here is what I'm thinking:
Series Loop - Parallel loop does nothing for me! I'll put the Channel Select switch where the Mix pot used to be maybe.....
Master Volume - I'll probably add a DC style Master Volume where the Chanel Select switch was
Smoother Cleans - I'll probably smooth out the cleans a little and make them more "Organic" sounding. I know a lot of guys rave about this clean channel, but the Heartbreaker cleans were incredible!
Bias Pot - I've pretty much stopped adding bias pots to my Mesa amps, but I'm dying to try this amp with 6V6's!
Contour Knob - Maybe an Express style Contour Knob?

Anybody have any mods I should try? Anybody have any mod ideas they would like for me to try and report back?
Elvis said.......
Amp techs do get shocked. :shock:

talltxguy
Donating Member

Re: F50 Mods!

Post by talltxguy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:05 pm

Hmm...you said the clean isn't great...How about forgetting the clean channel and altering the preamp circuitry to make channel 1 dirty and channel 2 outright nasty?
YOUTUBE: mesafanintexas

Monsta-Tone
Donating Member

Post by Monsta-Tone » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:24 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The first amp I built had AC/DC for the clean channel and souped up Metaltronix/Lee Jackson for a lead channel!
I was thinking about trying to get Lonestar cleans out of it! The circuit is remarkably similar to the original Express. I think the Express sounded much warmer though because of the tube reverb. I don't think the solid state reverb does much for any amp......
Elvis said.......
Amp techs do get shocked. :shock:

beagle
Bottle Rocket

Post by beagle » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:11 pm

ever do any of these mods? (if poster is still around)

elvis
Donating Member

Post by elvis » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:32 am

I wired my first F50 for true series loop, wasn't any different than the parallel at 100% wet. There's always a bit of crosstalk in the driver tube.
Mini Rectifier blue LED
Stiletto ACE
F50 Combo
Recto 2x12 Vertical
Recto 2x12 Wedge