Stiletto newb looking for tone tips

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riffpowers

Reaction score

This is my first Mesa , and what a beauty it is !

I'm interested to know how people are setting theirs up , and particularly how to best use the solo function

If I remember correctly, I ran the treble down around 8:00, mids somewhere around 11:00 and the bass up around 2:00 (maybe 3:00). Presence I can't remember, but I think it was pretty low too.

Solo's easy... set the amp volume for normal playing, then set the solo so that it's louder than that. It'll punch your leads forward in a way that OD pedals never will.

Are you looking to get a more "Marshall like" tone? Many folks seem to want to get that from a Stiletto.

Never gonna be exactly like Marshall, but I found, at least for the Ace, this gets it closer:

Bass, low...9 o'clock or less; Mid 11 - 1 o'clock; Treble, noon or less, maybe a lot less depending on your speaker; Presence, usually all the way down, or slightly above that.

You can start with these and experiment, though the biggie here is dumping the bass. Marshall is about midrange and keeping the bass very low on a Stiletto helps this.
This seems counter-intuitive as many comment the amp is too bright and needs more bass. But you solve brightness with treble and presence controls.

BTW the manual does not show this as a sample setting.

Hope this helps! :D

Old BF Shred said:
Are you looking to get a more "Marshall like" tone? Many folks seem to want to get that from a Stiletto.

Never gonna be exactly like Marshall, but I found, at least for the Ace, this gets it closer:

Bass, low...9 o'clock or less; Mid 11 - 1 o'clock; Treble, noon or less, maybe a lot less depending on your speaker; Presence, usually all the way down, or slightly above that.

You can start with these and experiment, though the biggie here is dumping the bass. Marshall is about midrange and keeping the bass very low on a Stiletto helps this.
This seems counter-intuitive as many comment the amp is too bright and needs more bass. But you solve brightness with treble and presence controls.

BTW the manual does not show this as a sample setting.

Hope this helps! :D

IMO, to get a more Marshall tone, you need to have the treble up more. You could always run the treble lower, but it doesn't sound very Marshall at all

Also, for anyone else that is keen to try this out, I've found that if a tone is ever too bright, you could try lower the master volume ever so slightly, then compensate with the output control. The sound gets fatter that way and less bright, whilst still retain more of a Marshall-esque tone than turning down the treble

Good tips, KH.
I found I had to experiment with various settings to get it to where I like it with my speaker cabs and FX devices, etc....and of course, YMMV. :wink:
And, mind you, these settings are not necessarily what I run for every gig...depends on the set list...

I was disappointed when the Stiletto was discontinued. I bought mine as I wanted more of a "British" crunch but always liked a fatter lead tone than many Marshalls I have heard.

For this, the Stiletto has served me well, and has its own tone. I like having an amp that does not sound like so many others out there.

Take care! :)

riffpowers said:

This is my first Mesa , and what a beauty it is !

I'm interested to know how people are setting theirs up , and particularly how to best use the solo function

Killer looking setup with the Les Paul! Very nice.

I just bought a Deuce and the same Recto cab, and also play a Les Paul. What an amazing sounding and feeling amp! I'm mainly using Crunch on Ch 1 and Tite on Ch 2, Bold mode with tube rectification both channels.

Here's a few things I've tried:

- putting cab on floor, with wheels off; evens out the low end, increases "connected" feeling when playing

- when set to 50W, use 4 ohm out; better match (as mentioned in manual) and gives a great, mid-heavy 2204 vibe; I like it way more than most half-power options on amps (though I prefer 100W).

- takes my MXR CBMOD and Keeley Fuzz Head insanely well, also loves EP Booster at unity and always on

That's about all I've tried, for now.. too busy playing and loving it to mess around! Minimal tweaking and the Deuce sounds crazy good!

Also, my EQ is pretty close to screamingdaisy's, which is generally how I set up a JCM800: bass at 3 o'clock, mid at 10, treble at 10-11, presence 9.

I just got my Stiletto Deuce about 2 weeks ago and I find that presence at 8 bass at 2 Mid at 2 and treble at 10 sounds good to my ear. I use this eq in tite gain with the gain almost dimed at around 3 o clock.

I still can't believe I was able to buy such a mint condition amp for 800 bucks.

4CJ7qDjl.jpg

5fyMm7vl.jpg

Latest posts

Back