Gain/Tone stack/Master/Output - How do they work together

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mookakian

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!! :)

I have a few questions regarding signal, tone stack and the output of the stiletto Trident V1.

First off... We have Gain/Master and Output. Im a bit confused about the mechanics of what happens to the signal when you up the the Master as opposed to the Gain, I assume Gain controls the input level of the Pre-Amp Tubes and Master controls the Output level of the Pre-Amp into the Power Tubes, but then what about the Output Knob?

I hope these are not too silly to ask, but i think knowing a bit about the technical side of this will greatly help me dial in the amp. I'd like to better understand the circuit so i can better understand the difference in tone & clipping obtained by upping the Master opposed to upping the Gain, I know what I can hear, but why is it happening? :)

Thanks you for reading and help much appreciated :)

Guess im the only silly bugger interested in these details, little traffic here maybe?

I have read the Manual though i am curious about the tone controls and the signal, with the Treble being first in the chain (before the gain stage I think?) if I set this high the manual says this does not leave much for the Mid/Bass... i thought they all ren in series with one another but this suggests they are fed the signal and the signal is divided into each control, so if we throw the treble up high and this uses 60% of my signal leaving only a small amount of energy for the Bass and Midrange. This might sound insane, thats why i am here, to try to understand whats happening when I move these knobs so I can better control what frequencies are compressed/clipped and how much :)

I do understand the Output works at the Return stage of the loop, if volume is not an issue and no effects are in the loop, I assume it does the same thing as the master (boosts the signal into the power tubes) only the master controls each channel individually...? If so, when sitting on one channel, why does the output have such a different effect on the sound then? (from the master volume)

Ive been informed at MPLF that the Gain stage runs before the tone stack where Treble feeds Bass then Midrange... the master then controls output for each channel to provide volume control and output controls the power sections energy levels after the amp loop. Best input I could find yet, any one want toback this up for me so I can sleep easy?

Latest posts

Back