New "Honeymoon" with my Stiletto Ace Head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellen

Reaction score
Hadn't played it for a long time,
Took it out for a check, as i was planing to sell it
Thought i was gonna try it with some EH EL 34 i had that i found out was pretty hot as i a/b with a JJ EL 34 with bias prob on my Marshall.
The stiletto has never sounded that good, no way i'm selling it now
Got compliments on the sound at today's rehearse with the band

Yea just wanted to show some love for an discontinued amp that get's a lot of hate out there

Wonder if all EH EL 34 sounds like the pair i got, or maybe i have a "hot pair"

Glad you discovered this. I've been guilty several times in the past of having an amp for over a year and selling it, without ever rolling a few tubes to see if there is some magic tube recipe that just makes the amp rock.

Gonna get a bias mod in the amp this weekend.
Sounds good as is, but want it flexible for different tubes

Different tubes in reference to what? 6L6 type?

There seems to be far more flavors in the EL34 arena than there are in the 6L6 category.

I have used the following in an RA100 and Mark V.
Tung Sol EL34B, falls between the character of SED EL34 and SED6L6GC.
Mullard EL34 (beast of a tube, heavy in the mids)
EH EL34 (same tube as Mesa but with a deeper bottom)
JJ 6CA7 (awesome tone but did not last very long)
Gold Lion KT77 (fantastic tube, I will try in my Deuce once it arrives for comment)
SED EL34, my most treasured EL34 tubes.

Tubes I have not tried but may be interested in:
EH 6CA7 (this tube has great reviews)
JJ EL34L
JJ KT77
I also believe there is a TAD version.

You can use matched pairs of different EL34. I have not explored this opportunity but have done so with a 6L6 tube amp.

I have no experience with any Stiletto yet. In a few days I will. First will have to check it out for the presence of any mods before I power it up the first time. Have plenty of preamp and power tubes to play with. I would definitely consider tube alternatives before making changes to the amp, that is unless you have exhausted all other avenues that do not require circuit modification.

Latest posts

Back