Help me with this gut shot for my Deuce II

Ace, Version 1 and 2

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

skoora
Mark II

Post by skoora » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:25 pm

OK, so my Deuce (bought used) performed great for over a year and suddenly started a serious feedback howl when taken off standby. I thought maybe just a bad tube. I open it up for the first time since I bought it and found this on V1. Any ideas what is going on here. The (copper?) foil is soldered to a resistor on the board and connected with putty to the back of the V1 tube socket.

Gordybaby
Mark II

Re: Help me with this gut shot for my Deuce II

Post by Gordybaby » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:52 pm

I own a stiletto ace head that has the same thing. Its not a mod for sound but it fixed a factory defect on the circuit board that caused both channel masters to work together instead of separately. Apparently there are more than one with this problem.

skoora
Mark II

Post by skoora » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:28 pm

I eventually found out from Boogie it's just to shield a sensitive part of the circuit.

bandit2013
Triple Recto

Post by bandit2013 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:52 pm

I have seen something quite similar in both Mark V and Mark IV amps. Usually over a few film type capacitors.

Sometimes noise issues are fixed with goofy add-on's like this.

NealgeKeply
Bottle Rocket

Post by NealgeKeply » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:23 pm

I thank you both for your help. Ill chase the threads with a tap and start from there

By the way, I found used 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4. and if I hadn't found Vinchain http://vinchain.io/report/check car registry database service, I'd paid cash for vehicle with all over damage. Hope this helps someone, they are better than other vin number websites in my opinion.