Stiletto vs JCM 800 (with clips)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primal

Reaction score
Hate to double post so I will simply post a link to this in the modern amps section.

Boogie board, while awesome doesn't seem to get the traffic it used to.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66854

Thanks for that! I've always been curious about a direct comparison between the two. I personally like the brightness, maybe due to growing up on the 80's guitar sounds.

I was surprised that the Marshall was brighter, but it's a good bright. My opinion is that people think they want that classic Brit sound, but they really don't understand what it actually is.

abe said:
Thanks for that! I've always been curious about a direct comparison between the two. I personally like the brightness, maybe due to growing up on the 80's guitar sounds.

I was surprised that the Marshall was brighter, but it's a good bright. My opinion is that people think they want that classic Brit sound, but they really don't understand what it actually is.

I agree about people not understanding that classic Marshall Sound.

The JTM was not a bright amp, but the Super Lead (1959 Plexi's), VERY bright.

JMP/JCM 2204, touch less bright then the plexi's, but still bright.

I think what it is is you have mostly Mesa guys trying out the Stiletto, and for Mesa, it is a VERY bright amp.

But for what it is trying to do, I think it does it VERY well

primal said:
Hate to double post so I will simply post a link to this in the modern amps section.

Ive shared your link and opened a thread in a forum here in Brazil about those sounds and the guys here are surprised when i say that the amp A is a Mesa.
they alwyas go: "A Mesa?!?!? it's so **** bright!!"

interesting is, when i play alone with my stiletto the treble is always on the 9-12 o'clock range, but if i play along with some CDs that have Marshalls on it (specially Scorpions) i have to bring it up to 2-4 o'clock range to get the same ballpark. :shock:

Vigo1999 said:
primal said:

Ive shared your link and opened a thread in a forum here in Brazil about those sounds and the guys here are surprised when i say that the amp A is a Mesa.
they alwyas go: "A Mesa?!?!? it's so **** bright!!"

interesting is, when i play alone with my stiletto the treble is always on the 9-12 o'clock range, but if i play along with some CDs that have Marshalls on it (specially Scorpions) i have to bring it up to 2-4 o'clock range to get the same ballpark. :shock:

Ha, that is great!

I truly believe if Marshall made the Stiletto, it would be there Flagship amp. But because it was Mesa, you got a bunch of Mesa guys picking them up, and for a Mesa guy it is a bright amp.

Like I said in the post, Amp B, the JCM800 had the presence and treble completely off. The Ace probably around 9:00 for both presence and treble.

I "think" the Scorpion's used JCM 900's on Love at first String. And they are also VERY bright.

If you really sit there and listen to the intro to Rock you like a hurricane, that is also extremely bright.

That is the classic Marshall tone. Bright.

And that is the tone that the Ace is inspired by.

You are correct sir! And if you want to sit in a mix with that type of music it doesnt get any better. I own many amps that I think sound better when its just me and my guitar cranked through a 4x12. But my stiletto live sits in a mix wonderfully and the bass takes care of the low end. It is the best amp I own for classic rock tones live.

Maybe a Stiletto is not for me. I grew up on classic rock and 80s but then I switched to mostly 90s rock and later. I haven't played classic rock or anything from the 80s in many years. Been there, done that. Pretty much all that I play these days is thicker and darker. Some of my favorite bands being Tool, APC, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and STP. Would a Stiletto work for this?

boardn10 said:
Maybe a Stiletto is not for me. I grew up on classic rock and 80s but then I switched to mostly 90s rock and later. I haven't played classic rock or anything from the 80s in many years. Been there, done that. Pretty much all that I play these days is thicker and darker. Some of my favorite bands being Tool, APC, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and STP. Would a Stiletto work for this?

Stiletto would not be my first choice for that stuff.

It could do it, but there are better choices for that type of thing. Recto being one.

The first thing I always did when plugging into a Jmp, a Jcm800 or 900 was to turn the bass and mids to 10 and the treble to 0. Presence was always between 0 and 5. It was the only way to really unlock the meat.

Back