Thoughts on Doug's Tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abe

Reaction score
I put a set of Dougs tubes, that recommended mixed set that they recommend for everything. I wasn't using the amp all that much when I replaced them a few months ago, but now I switched back and I noticed what I suspected whenI first put them in: the sound is now more fuzzy and the bottom end is looser. I think a lot of people might consider this a good change, but I really prefer the tighter sound I had with JJ's. The clean sound is awesome

So what I have is Svetlana EL 34 in the power section, tung sol 12AX7 is V1, JJ ECC83 in V2, Penta 12AX7 in V3 and Penta 12AX7 in V4 and V5. My question is, what can I change to tighten it back up?

Which amp are you using them in, the Stiletto? Did you pull this off their site or did you ask Doug?

I made the change in my Roadster and have been happy, but I play more classic rock than anything else and the amp sounds better for what the music that I play. I emailed Doug that I had a stock roadster and what I thought about the sound I had and gave him some insight on what I wanted to hear. It worked out for me.

Yes, the a Stiletto Ace

I just ordered the rock set from the website. The sound isn't bad by any means, just not what I was looking for. Maybe I'll contact them directly

Call or email Doug and tell him what you have and what you don't like about it. Give him an idea of what you want. It worked for me.

Other guys have mentioned Eurotubes as a good source as well. I haven't tried them but I would have no reservations doing so. Doug's operation is closer to where I live so shipping is faster. Good luck.

I wanted to provide an update on this one. I was too lazy to actually do anything about this dilemma, but, I have been playing the amp on the Spongy setting with the tube rectifier engaged for quite some time, and haven't veered away. Just for ha-ha's, I switched to Bold and Diodes for a gig. I thought that I heard a difference, but discounted it. When I was sound checking, my bass player asked what I did differently to my tone settings, because it sounded thicker and moe ballsy. He was surprised that I only flipped a couple of switches

I originally started using those settings because I liked the feel, but maybe it is using the full power of the tubes and the hotter bias (I have no idea) that made the difference? Whatever it was, it worked, and the new tubes sound good.

By the way, I have used Eurotubes. Awesome company, product and customer service. I live in CT and have always gotten delivery in 2 days

Tube rectifiers and the Spongy setting were two features that attracted me to the Stiletto. Once I became an owner though and started to gig with it I found that I preferred using the Bold and diode settings for the same reasons you described. Obviously a personal preference thing. I still like having the options.

I've been using Doug's Mesa rock/hard rock preamp tube kit for years. I have been happy with them and haven't spent a lot of time trying looking elsewhere. I've spent a little more time trying different power tubes though and I love what the JJ 6CA7s do. I would recommend Stiletto owners to give them a try in hopes that they would find the the same positive results as I did. Crank it up and get 'em good and pissed off, they sound great! :wink:

Latest posts

Back