Almost no output[RESOLVED!!!!]

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primal

Reaction score
Well **** that didn't take long.

Had this amp for a couple weeks. Been loving it.

Had it cranked today, sounded awesome. Shut down, no issues.

Fire it back up 20 minutes later and almost no volume at all. Can barely hear it.

I did a significant amount of troubleshooting already and here is what I have.

A little bit of sound (barely audible) with the effects loop in or out.

I took my Axe FX and ran it into the effects return and that seems to be fine. Sounds to me like the power section is fine.

I then went ahead and took a known good preamp tube and replaced each tube individually starting at V1.

No difference.

I then took 3 known goo preamp tubes and replaced v1-v3 then v3 - v5

Again no difference.

So at the moment I am at a loss.

I don't think it is a tube problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

**** that sucks.
There isn't a lot of traffic at this forum and especially sparse in the Stiletto forum. I would repost this in the after 1991 and later amps forum.

I am in a similar boat.
Was liking the amp. Swapped some preamp tubes. 2 got smashed when I put those supertight aluminum jackets/sleeves back on :-(. Plugged 2 more in (both times an RFT and a Dutch Philips), left the sleeves OFF and loved it even MORE.
Installed an adjustable bias mod, plugged-in a pair of sweet old Tesla34s, dialed them-in and then the amp sat for a couple days until rehearsal.
Fired it up and...NOTHING! (same thing as when I smashed the tubes in it). No worries. I'm not used to a porcupine (I usually play simple Marshalls that aren't bristling with switches and knobs and jacks and stuff) so I'm kinda used to running through the pre-flight troubleshooting checklist.
#1 Bypass the huge pedalboard.
#2 Try a known good speaker cable
#3 Check tubes
#4 Oh crap!!

At that point I just plugged-in a Marshall so as to not waste the rhythm section's time.
I called "smoke break time" after about only 3 tunes so I could get back to diagnosing.
HEY...maybe it's cause I don't have the footswitch in. I'll try that and if still nothing I'll address the loop and it's jacks.
Well...it sounds FEROCIOUS in ch1 Crunch mode and ch2 Tight Gain and Fluid Drive but the clean modes of ch1 and the crunch mode of ch2...well turns-out they ARE working but just very quiet and thin and transistor radio sounding.

I went back to the Marshall and then left town.
I just got back and it's almost time to make...I mean face the music.
Please let us know what your issue is/was and I'll do the same.

Oh....IF I can't get the Ace's channels all up and running...while the fat clean was the ch1 mode I used (amazing cleans), the crunch mode of ch1 works real well for cleans (maybe even better? There is a little snot there from the properly biased power section but like a great old Marshall it's very touch sensitive and with the guitar's vol it goes from crystal to crunch. I was using the Tight Gain mode of ch2 and it's still working SO...
if I don't get the 2 clean modes of ch1 and the crunch mode of ch2 back...I won't even really care.
Well I WILL of course...who doesn't want to get to the bottom of a good mystery...and who wants to be playing a sick amp...but it wouldn't be the end of the world and I wouldn't bring it to a tech (when the warranty is finished) and pay big bucks to get it fixed.

So I took it to a tech and he said 2 of the 4 FET's in the amp had shorted.

Figures it must have been a bad batch. Replaced all 4 since the labor cost the same and the FET's were 1$ a piece.

Runs like a champ now.

Back