A few Ace questions...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpage

Reaction score
1) What is the difference between the Ace and the Deuce?
2) Are there different "versions" of the Ace like there is with the Deuce?
3) How easy is it to buy parts for and install a bias adjustment?
4) Are there any other popular mods out there?

1) The names are very similar to the Rectifier series, with 50, 100, and 150 watt amplifiers. Ace = 50, Deuce = 100, and Trident=150.

2) No, the Ace was introduced at the same time as the Series II Deuce and Trident.

3) I'm not sure, but the Manfield kit that was popular on here is no longer available. I'm sure that a qualified technician could do the mod for you, though.

4) Search this forum. There are a lot of mods that people have done, and I don't know the details of all of them. The simplest, obviously, is trying different speakers.

Personally, I have an Ace combo that I love a lot, and it's stock. I will definitely try different speakers at some point, but for now, it's good enough. For reference, I'm not a high gain player. I don't shred and I don't like metal. I just like good tone, and the Ace gives me just that - good tone. If you get the chance to demo one, you'll be very pleasantly surprised by how great the clean channel is, especially for running EL34's in the output section!

Love my Ace head.
Installed the bias mod. Had a minor issue but it was caused by a bad tube base in a bias probe.
As was mentioned Mansfield is no more.
You can google and make one, it's just a resistor in series with a trimpot or you can buy a little PCB that has the resistor and trimpot already "plumbed".
GRANGER Amplification has the kits for Mesa amps including the Stiletto Ace.

LOVE the clean tones in this amp as well as it's crunch and even the tight gain and fluid drive work well with the EL34s running properly.

I need to spend some time with it here in the next few days if I can though. Last time I used it (maybe 5 weeks ago?) the clean modes of ch1 and crunch of ch2 seemed much quieter than the others.
I'm sure it's nothing. Even if it turns-out that I have to use the crunch mode of ch1 as a clean, I'll be happy.

VERY useable and versatile amp. Gets an undeserved bad wrap.
Even before the bias mod it wasn't overly bright. All it needed was to be treated like an old Marshall. Treble and middle can both be run very low.
Still too bright? Toss an RFT in V1.
Still too bright? Try an old G12-65 or some greenbacks.
Still too bright? Yeah, could be time to open-up the guitar's electronics cavity?

Latest posts

Back