JCM 800 Sounds from Deuce?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jak0lantern01

Reaction score
I (actually) just played a JCM 800 for the first time and I had a sudden understanding of that amplifier's reputation. I haven't been using my Deuce of late, but I was wondering if anyone has come close to pulling these sounds from the Mesa and what your settings are. Please, refrain from the "if you want Marshall sound then buy a Marshall" comments, I'm fully aware. I'm just looking to see what other folks have been able to pull out from the Deuce. Thanks.

I own both (well, not a Deuce, but an Ace).

If I get a chance this weekend, I might do some recordings.

Obviously if we are talking 2203/2204 we are comparing the crunch channel on the Stiletto as the tight gain and fluid drive are much higher gain then you will find on a 2203/2204.

That makes a lot of sense regarding crunch mode. The guy at the studio said that I'm the only one that ever uses the JCM 800 because I seem to be the only one who KNOWS how to use it :roll: Everyone else feels there's not enough gain (booster, anyone?). Anyway, I wouldn't mind checking out your settings if you can post them as well. Thanks.

the ch1 crunch mode is the best mode in the stiletto imo.

I have a series I and my (band) settings are somewhat like that:

master - 11 o'clock
presence - 10 o'clock
bass - noon
mid - 11:30
treble - 10:00
gain - 2:30 - 3:00
bold
no loop engaged
100W

If I was trying to do a JCM800 at higher gain (where you get it's preamp above 6) I would actually use tight gain but just have the gain fairy low. Crunch is not going to keep together enough at higher gain levels to match the 800 sound. If I wanted a brighter sound without actually bringing up the presence and treble on the Stiletto I switch to Fluid drive and again, keep the gain fairly low. Usually I have mids and treble below 12 O'Clock and the presence no higher than 10 O'Clock. But as you turn up Stiletto's you definitely need to adjust the EQ quite a lot to bring back top end. The brightness that everyone complains about is more a factor of low Master volume playing.

Just an update - I was able to dial in some sweet settings that give a JCM800 feel by dialing down the treble and presence (9:00 range) mids about 11:00, gain @ 10:00 (tight), bass @ 1:00, and BB Pre-amp in front with some gain added. This amp has never sounded better.

Back