Combo buzz from tube section??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booger73

Reaction score
Hi all,

Practicing with my 2x12 Stiletto ACE today I noticed that on certain notes or chords the resonance causes something in the tube section of my 2x12 combo to buzz quite loudly. It doesn't come through the speakers but it's annoying because I can hear it even at fairly loud volumes. It sounds glassy and high and can't pinpoint it exactly but wondering if it could possibly be one of the power or rectifier tube contents rattling?? Not sure but keen to know if anyone else has had the same experience and what it might be?

B73

booger73 said:
Hi all,

Practicing with my 2x12 Stiletto ACE today I noticed that on certain notes or chords the resonance causes something in the tube section of my 2x12 combo to buzz quite loudly. It doesn't come through the speakers but it's annoying because I can hear it even at fairly loud volumes. It sounds glassy and high and can't pinpoint it exactly but wondering if it could possibly be one of the power or rectifier tube contents rattling?? Not sure but keen to know if anyone else has had the same experience and what it might be?

B73
Turn on the amp...
tap on the tubes one at a time.
You can find a microphonic, or lose, or bad tube and replace it.
Just by tapping on them.
Knock on the tube, and if you hear a reaction, rattle, or ringing, it's probably a bad preamp tube.

If it was a microphonic tube you would hear the noise/rattle/issues through the speaker for sure.
I would get someone else to play at the volume level that is triggering the noise while you physically inspect the amp/cab/chassis.

blaren said:
If it was a microphonic tube you would hear the noise/rattle/issues through the speaker for sure.
I would get someone else to play at the volume level that is triggering the noise while you physically inspect the amp/cab/chassis.
Not necessarilly,I have seen some power tubes exhibit "rattling" that didnt come thru the speakers.Preamp tubes,on the other hand,usually cause the sound to come out the speaker,soley because the noise gets amplified thru more stages.

Back