Joined the party today

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primal

Reaction score
Was Mesa less for about a year and just picked up an Ace combo today.

I got a great deal on it, figured I would pick it up and if I didn't like it I would probably be able to recoup what I put in.

So far I really like it. I also own a JCM 800 and it REALLY does the moded 2204 thing really well.

REALLY like the gain on this thing. The tight gain setting is really more then I would ever require, but fluid gain is fun as well.

My Mesa journey has been fun.

Started with a Road King. Liked it but just wasn't really a dual rec guy.
Next came the Mark IV. Liked it more, but channel 2 was useless and was a little too compressed sounding for me.
Next came Electra Dyne. WOW. I mean freaking WOW. Only traded it for the 2204. Would have liked a little more gain and maybe seperate EQ for clean.

Now Stiletto.

We'll see how it goes!

Cool, I'm 2 weeks into my Ace 2x12 Combo and I love it!!! Versatility plus. Perfect for band work, anything actually! The fact that it's been discontinued I think will be a plus in the future as more people discover what they are missing!! Congrats again!
B73

Enjoying the features.

Going from the Electra Dyne (2 channels, shared eq) to the JCM 800 (Essentially one channel, no loop) it is nice to have the separate clean and drive channels.

Going to get to open it up tomorrow.

Understanding that nothing is perfect, I am actually really happy with my Ace combo. It's a heavy SOB, but whatever, it's not TOO bad. The one thing I wish the Ace had is onboard reverb. Sometimes I don't want to bring the pedalboard, and for those moments, it would be really nice to have some 'verb. I'll probably end up getting a Strymon Flint after tax time so I can get verb and trem on my cleans. It's still not the best solution, though, since I'll have to disengage the Flint if I switch to the dirty channel.

Hmmm, maybe the solution is to run all of my effects in front of the amp and find/build a foot switch that changes amp channels AND removes all effects from the signal chain. Anyway, sorry to hijack this thread with my thoughts!

Believe it or not, I started typing all of this to say that, if you loved the Electra Dyne, you should check out the Royal Atlantic. :)

ifailedshapes said:
Understanding that nothing is perfect, I am actually really happy with my Ace combo. It's a heavy SOB, but whatever, it's not TOO bad. The one thing I wish the Ace had is onboard reverb. Sometimes I don't want to bring the pedalboard, and for those moments, it would be really nice to have some 'verb. I'll probably end up getting a Strymon Flint after tax time so I can get verb and trem on my cleans. It's still not the best solution, though, since I'll have to disengage the Flint if I switch to the dirty channel.

Hmmm, maybe the solution is to run all of my effects in front of the amp and find/build a foot switch that changes amp channels AND removes all effects from the signal chain. Anyway, sorry to hijack this thread with my thoughts!

Believe it or not, I started typing all of this to say that, if you loved the Electra Dyne, you should check out the Royal Atlantic. :)

I did love the Electra Dyne. Will probably pick another one up. Aside from having probably the lamest name of any amp I have ever owned, I thought it was an incredible amp. It was the first boogie I purchased brand new. Have missed it.

I probably would love the Royal Atlantic.

Honestly though, really loving the Ace. A LOT.

Actually surprised. For all the griping about brightness I read everywhere, it isn't any brighter then my 2204.

Was considering when I first got it doing the mods Isaac Berumen mentioned in this thread here.
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=43507

But after sitting down with it a few days and starting to learn the in's and outs of the controls, I honestly think I may leave well enough alone.

There is a real difference between the tube and diode rectification and spongy vs normal power settings.

And the crunch mode is freaking awesome. This amp covers so many tones.

I know I am a little late to the party, but I am impressed.

AMEN!
I'm an old Marshall guy too and recently got a Stiletto Ace (head only in fawn).
LOVE IT!
Also didn't find it overly bright compared to the Marshalls I've owned but plugged some sweet preamp tubes in it anyway and then did an adjustable bias mod and biased-up a sweet old pair of TESLA 34s into her.
Loving it even MORE now.
Run mine into (usually) old G12-65s. I don't like V30s and could see how a Stiletto into some V30s might sound icepicky.

Oh AND....I echo the sentiment (no pun intended) that if this thing had some built-in verb...I'd love it even MORE more.
I suppose a guy COULD pick-up a wee reverb pedal, wire it into the loop and zip-tie it into the back of the cab somehow. Then you'd have a built-in digital reverb essentially.
That would work for me since I don't use the loop anyway. One day I'll find a nice cheap and small reverb pedal.

ANYWAY yeah...the Stiletto (Ace) is definitely a super versatile sleeper that seems to always slip under most peoples' radar. Not mine though...thankfully.

I just played one the other day and I've already put my Marshall TSL on the market. I could even see my Single Rectifier becoming a backup if I can score this Deuce.

Latest posts

Back