Anyone try a Celestion Creamback with their Stiletto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifailedshapes

Reaction score
Just like the title says.

I've got my amp for sale, but I also really want to keep it. It's listed because I want something smaller and lighter, but I really enjoy the tones this amp is capable of putting out. I've got to admit, though, it's bright when miked. I really don't notice it in the room, but when it's miked, even on the edge of the speaker, it's just bright.

I'm considering two speakers to help tame the brightness, rather than running an EQ in the loop.

1) WGS ET65
2) Celestion Creamback

I'm really interested in the Creamback, but the ET65 is a lot cheaper, so I'd be interested to hear if any have tried that one, too.

I hesitate to comment with the typical "No I've never tried them but......" response that you commonly see. I always get a kick out of those. :roll:

I am curious about the Creambacks too. They seam to be a popular topic on some of the other gear forums. I bet they would be a great fit for the Stiletto.
Any of the Greenback speaker designs that are out there are worth looking into. If you are replacing the stock V30s I think they are a step in the right direction in achieving your goal. As I understand, the have that "woody" Greenback sound but with a stronger low end.

My only experience is with the Scummback M75 speakers. The ones I use are 8ohm, 65 watts and are modeled after early Celestion Greenbacks. They do a great job of taming my Deuce. They are worth checking out also. I love them and they turned my amp into a keeper.

Good luck!

Hey! A reply! Woot! j/k

Thanks for the feedback. The M75 is actually on my radar, too. I've never read a bad thing about Scumbacks. I'm tempted to just try the WGS ET65 first because it's significantly cheaper than my other options. The thing that sucks about speakers is you don't know how they'll work until you actually try them, but there is no return policy if you don't like what you hear. For that reason, I'd rather be out $80 as opposed to $200, or however much money would be spent after shipping. :)

I wonder why you find it bright when miked. I have to back off on my lows when I mic mine. I use an SM58 with the cover taken off

abe said:
I wonder why you find it bright when miked. I have to back off on my lows when I mic mine. I use an SM58 with the cover taken off

I've seen some of your vids. We're chasing different tones. :)

I haven't tried the Creamback with a Stiletto so take what I say as you will.

Since getting a CB I have been using it with all my amps, an ED, RA, Express 5:25, fender deluxe reverb and a black star HT1. My other cab is a traditional 2x12 with V30s.

What has generally Been the case to my ears is that the CB does better clean and crunch tones. It extends further into the high end than the V30, but does not tend to get ratty or nasty like the V30 can. The bass is good and I'd say fairly tight, but not as solid as the V30.

If you like bright tone, but the V30 ice pick is hurting your ears the CB may be just what you need.

Hmmmm... I'm not chasing bright tone. I'm chasing warm, but not muddy, tone. My guitar is a maple neck Strat with all singles, and that guitar combined with the stock Stiletto is super ice pick bright. I'm really looking for a speaker that rolls off the highs, not a speaker that extends the highs.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should just throw an EQ in the loop. At least that would have a return policy should I not like the results, unlike the speaker I would be stuck with....

Thanks for all the input so far. :)

Dont mistake bright for extended highs. The pronounced upper mid area is where the ice pick and sizzle is comming from with the V30. Creambacks are much more tame in that area and can sound warmer, yet have more air. Anyway, having said that Greenback types are on the brighter side.

Something like an Eminence Cannabis rex may be what your looking for. To go down the path of speaker changing, you do have to be prepared to buy a few before you get what your after. Amps, guitars, effects and pickups all fit into that catagory too :lol:

Yes J.J, I actually listened to a guy playing an Ace 1x12 that had an Eminence Cannabis Rex in it. It was a few years ago but I remember thinking it sounded great!
So many options and not enough time or money. Finding our holy grail of tone does not happen over night for a lot of us. It sure is a fun chase though. :)

I've been doing a lot of reading/listening, and I think the most logical place to start is with a Beam Blocker. I'm all about value. :)

V30's sounds like total garbage until they're broken in. I had a newer Royal Atlantic 2x12 cab and I couldn't use it, the thing sounded like an ice pick..just terrible. I have an old Recto 2x12 from the 90's and it sounds awesome and very warm and thick, no ice pick at all.

When you take the Ace, which is already bright, and combine it with a fresh V30 it's about the worst combination possible and the reason why so many people hate this amp. When the Ace or Stiletto is on a good cab it sounds good, or if the 1x12 speaker is really broken in.

Color me embarrassed. I totally forgot about the break-in process. :roll:

I'm going to bet that's the difference I hear.

danyeo1 said:
V30's sounds like total garbage until they're broken in. I had a newer Royal Atlantic 2x12 cab and I couldn't use it, the thing sounded like an ice pick..just terrible. I have an old Recto 2x12 from the 90's and it sounds awesome and very warm and thick, no ice pick at all.

When you take the Ace, which is already bright, and combine it with a fresh V30 it's about the worst combination possible and the reason why so many people hate this amp. When the Ace or Stiletto is on a good cab it sounds good, or if the 1x12 speaker is really broken in.

ifailedshapes said:
Hmmmm... I'm not chasing bright tone. I'm chasing warm, but not muddy, tone. My guitar is a maple neck Strat with all singles, and that guitar combined with the stock Stiletto is super ice pick bright. I'm really looking for a speaker that rolls off the highs, not a speaker that extends the highs.

J.J said:
Dont mistake bright for extended highs. The pronounced upper mid area is where the ice pick and sizzle is comming from with the V30. Creambacks are much more tame in that area and can sound warmer, yet have more air. Anyway, having said that Greenback types are on the brighter side.

This.

The V30 has a really rolled off top end. It's the upper mids that give it the sound that it has. I've never used a Creamback but I do have Greenbacks and although they do have more top end it's not "bright" or "harsh". It's more along the lines of increased harmonics and detail that the V30s lack.

That said, one of the best speakers I've used with a Stiletto is the MC90. I'm not a big fan of that particular speaker but when combined with the Stiletto the results were a really raunchy midrange.

Latest posts

Back