Stiletto Ace 112 combo problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeb71

Reaction score
I've searched the forums and have found similar posts but they all kind of danced around my question and if I've missed the answer to my question I apologize . But here's my situ, just bought this amp used from my local GC a couple of weeks ago it was in almost knew condition with all of the documentation including hang tags. Gigged with it twice, the first time I did not use the effects loop and had no issues but last night I decided to use the effects loop for the solo boost feature and I got the dreaded cutting in and out problem that I've read about on here and it is intermittent. When I put a patch cable in the jacks and engage the loop I don't seem to have the problem. So bad tube or do my jacks just need cleaning? By the way this amp freakin' rocks otherwise. I was iffy on it at first because of the brittle highs I got when I set the eq with my eyes but when I set it with my ears and let go of my instinct to have everything at 12 o'clock ...wow it's an amazingly toneful amp.

Check V3. That's the 12AX7 pre-amp tube in the middle of the row.
If it says "Russian" anywhere, replace it.

I second MrMarkIII's suggestion. V3 and V4 are cathode followers. We need durable tubes in those positions.

Great advise in this thread. Let me add:

Tubes to avoid in Cathide Follower use:
Anything marketed by New Sensor Corp., which includes Sovtek (Mesa "Russian-1"), Electro Harmonix (Mesa "Russian-2"), Tung-Sol reissue, & Mullard Reissue.

Tubes proven reliable in Cathode Folliwer use:
JJ, any Chinese (Shuguang / Penta, Mesa "Chinese"), and just about any NOS/VOS.

IMO JJ 6CA7's sound wonderful in these amps, with the JJ E34L my second favorite (vs =C=, EH & Mesa). This is funny for me because I do not like JJ powertubes in any of my other amps, but they are a perfect fit for my Deuce. The 6CA7's retain all the character of the amp, adding a nice full bottom.

Dom

Ok. I checked the tubes and it looks like I have all Mesa Chinese tubes. I have also cleaned the effects loop jacks by putting electrical cleaner on a patch cable and plugging it in and out of the jacks. So far no cutting out to speak of. But the amp is squeaking a little when I switch it to stand by mode. It wasn't doing it before I was poking around with the tubes but when I'm using the amp it is nice and quiet. Hope I didn't mess anything up.

Back