What kind of music are people using their Stilettos for?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abe

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of posts on settings, speakers and tubes, but not a whole lot on how those tweaks match the type of music that people are playing. To my ears, the amps excel at the 70's and 80's rock, metal and punk tones, which is why I bought it and have kept it for over 5 years

I also think that the demos by Andy Timmons and others that Boogie has put out there don't highlight what the amps really do, maybe because I am a chord bashing Neanderthal

I've heard the Mark IV referred to as "Metallica in a box". What would you call this one? I've had a lot of people tell me that it is absolutely nailing the Van Halen tone....

I use my Stiletto for blues, rock, and metal. However, the clean channel is quite good for jazz too. The immediacy of the amp helps for that...

I use mine for literally everything, it's very versatile. If I need heavier tones, I just throw an EQ in the loop and do a mid-scoop, it just doesn't get any heavier.

I use mine for hardcore and metal and punk. Always on ch2 it has tonnes of different tones, inspiring, keeps me playing for hours.

I live mostly on Ch. 2 in the Tite Gain world. I play classic and hard rock and some harder edged blues. I love the singing sustain this amp gives up!! Very inspiring to say the least. The clean channel is good too...just a really nice lush tone that stays tight no matter the volume. Just FYI...the only pedal I use is a Carbon Copy in the loop. I've just never needed anything else... :mrgreen:

I use mine for a brash, punky/garage rock sound. I think it's capable of doing way more than that... but it's one of 5 amps in my stable so I tend to dedicate it to that sound.

I play in a 3 piece that is pretty much old school 70, 80 and 90's hard rock. AC/DC Bon era, Petty, UFO pretty much along those lines with a few originals thrown in for good measure. I forgot how good my stiletto soundsfor this style of music. I have an Electra Dyne I’ve been using pretty exclusively for the last year, but the last several shows I have really dialed in a tone that works for me with my stiletto. I mainly use the tight gain mode the output at noon the bass at noon the treb, mid and pres all at 9:00 and the drive at noon with the master at about 10:00 depending on the venue. This goes into a Matchless 4X12 and I boost for solos with the solo boost and sometimes with an Analogman modded DS-1 or a Xotic EP booster. I also use a volume pedal at the end of my chain for a little high end roll for more subtle parts. I find if I’m standing in front my amp this sound great to me but when the band is there playing I need a hair more cut so I will bump the mid to 10:00 but I never touch the treble or presence. I control all the high end with the midrange. I have been so happy with this set up that I have thought of selling my ED. I used to run the bass all the way up with the treble and presence off and the mids about 1:00 but I always felt like I could never go anywhere with it in a bright room, with this set up it evens out nicely. I still get plenty of mids but if you roll the mids down you lose the really high frequency that bothers some people. Sorry for getting off course but yes for hard rock in a three piece the stiletto ace fills a ton of space for me.

The speakers are celestion G12H-30 that matchless does something to them to break them in. I have no clue what that is but the cabinet sounds amazing. I also use a Marshall jcm 800 2X12 with G12C greenbacks but only as an added cab in certain places never by itself.

Interesting.

I've used the Stiletto with the Recto 4x12 and through that cab it sounded really modern and kind of reminded me of a bright Rectifier.

I then tried it through a G12M-25 and really liked it. A more retro sound with a different texture to the breakup and lots of cool top end harmonics. Still rock and roll, but not as modern as the V30. It's my goal to load a 4x12 full of these but it's been kind of low on my priority list.

When I plugged it into a MC90 I was shocked. It was a really thick, raunchy sound. I think Mesa probably would've sold more Stilettos if they paired them up with this speaker instead of the V30.

The G12H though.... I've yet to try that one.

I think one of the best ways to improve your tone is get the right cabinet with the right speaker to match your amp and musical tastes. To bad speakers and cabinets are one of the hardest things to find and try out with out laying down some serious cash. I really lucked out with that matchless cabinet. I've bought a lot of speakers and enclosures in the last few years and I only kept the matchless and Marshall 2x12 There is a newer company that has a 3x12 cabinet that has me interested called 3rd power. I think the stiletto is a very well designed rock amp it just seems it is often paired with the wrong cabinet and speakers.

I just picked up a new Ace combo, and I REALLY like the closed-back V30 design. The cleans are still excellent, but the drive sounds are a major improvement over my 3/4-back cab with a C90. I used to think I really liked that cab, but now I'm not so sure. It's a definite diference.

I'll be using the Ace for rock music, mostly P&W stuff, but still that good rock tone. I've already got a setup I like using Fat Clean on ch 1 and Crunch on ch 2. The other high-gain modes are just a bit too much for my taste. :)

Good post abe!

I'm a classic hard rock guy. Regrettably, I'm retired from the band scene. I played nearly ten years dishing out stuff like Black Sabbath, Ted Nugent, Blue Oyster Cult, Aerosmith, Led Zep. and just about every other hard rock group from that era. Best days of my life :D
Channel 1 Crunch and Channel 2 Tight Gain served me well.

I'm in a couple bands and between the two I'm anything from 80's hair metal to outlaw country. It's truly a great amp, I hate the idea of getting rid of it. If it had three channels, I'd sleep with this amp. I know I could throw on a over drive pedal and mock a third channel which is what I'm doing. I'm using a Fulltone OCD V1 which is amazing but I'm picky and I like my drive to come from my amp. Overall if you are interested in a great amp you won't go wrong, but I play such a variety and due to the fact I'm a tone freak I need/want three channels.

screamingdaisy said:
Interesting.

I've used the Stiletto with the Recto 4x12 and through that cab it sounded really modern and kind of reminded me of a bright Rectifier.

I then tried it through a G12M-25 and really liked it. A more retro sound with a different texture to the breakup and lots of cool top end harmonics. Still rock and roll, but not as modern as the V30. It's my goal to load a 4x12 full of these but it's been kind of low on my priority list.

When I plugged it into a MC90 I was shocked. It was a really thick, raunchy sound. I think Mesa probably would've sold more Stilettos if they paired them up with this speaker instead of the V30.

The G12H though.... I've yet to try that one.

The G12H30s have more headroom than the G12Ms. It also has a tighter low end as well. I definitely prefer the G12H30s, especially at higher volumes... :)

I use mine for 60's - 70's type rock...from the alternative folk stuff to blues to classic heavy metal.
The amp is able to do more than that...but I wank out to black Sabbath/zeppelin, Clapton, zz top, acdc, t rex, alice cooper, etc. :lol:

Great amp!

Gordybaby said:
I play in a 3 piece that is pretty much old school 70, 80 and 90's hard rock. AC/DC Bon era, Petty, UFO pretty much along those lines with a few originals thrown in for good measure. I forgot how good my stiletto soundsfor this style of music. I have an Electra Dyne I’ve been using pretty exclusively for the last year, but the last several shows I have really dialed in a tone that works for me with my stiletto. I mainly use the tight gain mode the output at noon the bass at noon the treb, mid and pres all at 9:00 and the drive at noon with the master at about 10:00 depending on the venue. This goes into a Matchless 4X12 and I boost for solos with the solo boost and sometimes with an Analogman modded DS-1 or a Xotic EP booster. I also use a volume pedal at the end of my chain for a little high end roll for more subtle parts. I find if I’m standing in front my amp this sound great to me but when the band is there playing I need a hair more cut so I will bump the mid to 10:00 but I never touch the treble or presence. I control all the high end with the midrange. I have been so happy with this set up that I have thought of selling my ED. I used to run the bass all the way up with the treble and presence off and the mids about 1:00 but I always felt like I could never go anywhere with it in a bright room, with this set up it evens out nicely. I still get plenty of mids but if you roll the mids down you lose the really high frequency that bothers some people. Sorry for getting off course but yes for hard rock in a three piece the stiletto ace fills a ton of space for me.

You always hear about brightness issues, but not too many people having to increase it in live situations. I run into the same thing and usually reduce the bass and increase the presence. I like the effect and idea of using the mids as a steering wheel

When you use the DS-1 how do you set it?

This amp is a dream and a nightmare all rolled into one. Depending on if I use my Ibanez rg550 or my ESP Eclipse I can get any sound from early AC/DC to Van Hallen To Metallica and I use EMG 81/85 combos so I've found there is a VAST range of tones from neck to bridge balancing by volume and position. I guess I'll always be chasing tone depending on my mood. but i find my demons in the channel 2 tight gain mode and for my clean, I like a reverb (Not Delay) pedal and a chorus in the loop. I run a Overdrive to get my lead sound. I've been experimenting with classical and rock fusion. Of course my guitar hero is Randy Rhoads. Ihave found these amps have Almostevery tone nailed if you throw a EQ in the loop.

I play in a hard rock band with a progressive edge. My main guitar is a PRS SC Satin sporting a Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat in the bridge. I have a tone similar to Perphery but not tuned super low. My Stage II when cranked is super tight and responsive, I find I'm turning off my Green Rhino (as a boost) at high volumes, it just sounds better and more musical. I can understand why people say the stiletto is bright, but in band situations it sits really well in the mix. Using a cold sweat took out most of the harsher frequencies which allows me to be more liberal with the EQ. I've owned many boogies, and it's definitely my current favorite, the tone grows on me more everyday.

I have a love and hate relationship with my Ace head.

I currently run it into a 2x12 stiletto cab and when playing in the house at low to med volume (enough to piss the neighbours off) is sounds really shrill and bright. But when I play it at Church miced up and run the amp loud it transforms into another machine. So massive without getting muddy. The brightness of the amp is never noticed when miced up. Infact I am always adding presence. It is because of the tone when really opened up and allowed to breath that has me keeping this amp.

I am no wayt considered a NORMAL church guitar player. Normal meaning Hill Song wannabe. My influence stems from my youth listening to 80's 90's hard rock/metal. And it comes out in my playing at church. I let my amp rip and it takes the music to another level. At first they were a little unsure if it was a good thing but now my team is known as the Hard Edged Worship and Praise team. Loud, edgy and powerful.

So, I use channel one in Fat mode and Channel 2 in Tight gain. My settings for ch2 are roughly, Gain 1 o'clock, treb 8-9 o'clock, mids 12, Bass 3+ Pres, 9-9:30. So it is rocking. I use a BB preamp to boost for leads. If this amp had 3 channels it would be great.

I maily use PRS guitars with my Stiletto. However I have tried all my Ibanez guitars into it and it just doesn't sound right. I find that my Ibanez guitars sound great through my Triaxis/2:90 rig but not in the Stiletto. I find that very interesting.

Latest posts

Back