Rule-Of-Thumb For Changing Power Tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Rolf

Reaction score
My Stiletto Ace gets light usage as amps go and I'm wondering how often PT's should be changed. It still sounds great to me but then any changes can be gradual to the point where you may or may not notice it. Is there a rule-of-thumb on this subject?

Thanks folks,

tubes last a lot longer than the tube sellers want you to believe. stop the angst and play! I've got a 60 year old tube high fi console (radio, phonograph) that still works. No tube failures yet.

If a tube goes bad, you will know it. Carry spares, and concentrate on the music, not the tubes!

wow sixty years with original tubes....they certaianly dont make them like that anymore.
using my MV daily at home / weekly rehearsals / gigging my power tubes or rectifier seem to either blow or sound bad after 9 - 12 months.

Sometimes waiting till they blow can cause you to need screen resistors replaced ( at least with the MV) because a failing tube takes these with them.....not a major catsatrophe but who likes to bring amp to tech and be without it for god knows how long.....an ounce of prevention I say.

I play my ST mainly on the weekend, Friday and Saturday night for a combined total of maybe 5 hours. I've had the head for 3 years and the original owner told me that he just re-tubed it before I bought it (questionable). It's still going strong. An entire re-tube of a Trident would cost some bux.

I have no spares. Fingers crossed.

\m/

tt :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back