Stiletto Ace Question-cold solder resistor?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Presence76

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to the board, but have been trolling it for over a year.

I bought a Mesa Stiletto Ace Head (used) about a year ago. I retubed the pre-amp with Groove Tube Golds (and one Tung Sol V1), and used some Doug's Tubes recommended Ruby EL34BSTR for the power tubes. That helped with the brightness a bit, but I still had to roll back my tone pot now and again.

I've modified my guitars before, but have never worked on a tube amp. This morning I decided to try two things from the "Isaac mod." I wired a 100pf cap to the outer lugs of the treble pot, and then changed the R44 from a 10M to 4.7M.

Changing out the resistor was a bear! I got a 4.7M 2W metal film 2% tolerance resistor that was unfortunately about twice as large as the 10M. I had a really hard time getting it soldered into the board. I finally got it, but my worry is if I cold soldered, and it comes out from a vibration or something. So-since I know barely anything (probably shouldn't have done it in the first place)-if the resistor for the Presence control does come out, what would the effect be on my tone? I only got to try it at low volumes because our kids were sleeping, but it sounded different in a good way then...

Thanks in advance!

Back