Sorry, amother biasing question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skoora

Reaction score
Ok, So I recently picked up a used Stage II and noticed the rec tubes and a few of the power tubes made a fair amount of mechanical noise when tapping. So I decided to give some JJ's a go as I've used them with success in the past with Marshall's I've had. Just using a basic bias probe I noticed with the Mesa tubes that the bias goes from anywhere between 39 to 12 depending on the amp settings. 39 when in CH 1 clean, bold and Silicone Diode and 12 when any gain mode, spongy, tube rec. For those who have done bias mod's what are you setting for your optimal. Because 39 is actually higher than I would usually set an El34, even with 450 on the plates (read this was spec for the Stiletto). But obviously 12 is ridiculous too. I guess if the JJ;'s fall into this same range I should just call it good and leave it be?

I will say Eurotubes know how to choose a tube. I told them it was for the stiletto and they give the exact same readings as the Mesa tubes did. I haven't had a chance to turn it up yet but initially the tone is pretty much the same. Kind of makes sense as I haven't cranked it and the preamp tubes are still the same.

Hi skoora

I've got my Deuce II dialed in at around 38ma. I switch the amp on either Channel 1 Crunch or Channel 2 Tight Gain, Bold and Diodes when I set it that way.
That gets me right where I want to be. I love it!
Like you mentioned, things change drastically when switching through the different modes though. If I go to one of the clean modes with my settings I'm well into the mid 40s ma! I can tame it down easily by switching to Spongy or 5U4s. I could see where this would be a turn off for some but I don't have a problem with it.

Mark

Hey Riff Blister, So I imagine you did a bias mod or did you just get tubes that put it in that range for you? What you have set sounds interesting because I realistically won't use the clean all that much and it still sounds good on spongy and Tube rec anyway.

I did the Mansfield adj. bias mod a few years ago. No regrets at all. As much as I like the Fat Clean mode, I don't use it much. I stick mostly on Ch.1 Crunch and clean it up with my guitar's volume knob if I want clean. My version of clean at least. :)

Latest posts

Back