New rig shots and comments - pic heavy!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdesalvo

Reaction score
Avatar did a phenominal job with this cab. Matches the Deuce pretty well. They use the same tolex. Only the pattern of the grill cloth was different. The corner protectors are metal, but I went with all black hardware and it looks great.
3f9fe766.jpg

22a71085.jpg

A word on this cab - I have been looking at Avatar products as a "cheaper" alternative to Boogie's offerings. After receiving this cab (2 days after I ordered) I realized how wrong my mindset was. This is a flawless cab featuring great attention to detail and assembled without shortcuts. There are no signs of a pneumatic nail gun's use - this cab was glued and screwed - just the way I'd do it.

The sound is phenominal - I had a closed back 212 Recto cab and it was very boxy and directional. With the Avatar's semi-open back design, I get a very lush and rich tone with a wide spacial spread - I moved all over the room and there was barely any "beaminess". It's actually stuffed with 2 of their H60's - broken in V30's and they sound very smooth instead of spikey. There is also a load of bottom end if you want to dial it in.

I didn't plan on this cab making it into my live rig, but I'm enjoying the tone of the Deuce so much more through this than either of my 412s.
a361efa8.jpg

aaf8f86d.jpg

Here's the pedalboard -
The Deuce loves OD/Fuzz pedals. The Musket is the first fuzz pedal I've ever loved - very tight clear, and focused; you can loosen up the bass for a more traditional Muff tone by rolling back the Focus pot. It produces an amazing lead tone that is very unique and highly useable. While I won't use it 100% of the time, it's good to know when I want that tone, it's right there.

The Timmy resembles an old Blues Breaker pedal in my opinion - and that's a good thing. It is perfect for a little bit of grit in your tone, giving you some serious TX styled blues action or crisp, sparkling breakup for chords.

The Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay is the PERFECT delay pedal for lead guitarists; it's almost dynamic in it's responsiveness and is tuned to play nice with distortion. Perfect for adding ambience to your tone.

The space next to the Musket is for a Green Ringer clone I'm working on - another lil bit o' seasoning for the rig.
8281c93e.jpg

You'll also notice the voodooman footswitch which allowed me to free up another spot on my board for another pedal. :mrgreen:
1caffb1b.jpg

I had a snake made up to route my input, footswitch, and FX loop cables. Now I only have one cable going from my amp to the pedalboard. I color coded the jacks on the patchbay, amp head, and cables. Super fast setup! I have some clear heatshrink on its way that will over the barrel of the plugs, protecting the colored tape. I later replaced the temp duct tape on one plug/jack with yellow tape haha.
b61827f7.jpg

03930f7b.jpg

Here's what's under the deck - moving the PP2 under the mounting plates freed up serious real estate, but it forced me to come up with a solution for plugging in the power cable. I didn't want a cable coming out from beneath the mounting plates. The Line6 Relay's power supply was aggravating me because it mounts perpendicular to the power strip, meaning it ended up being too tall for the aluminum mounting plate to go back into place. I busted out the high power soldering gun and made a lil' adjustment :D. I also ended up "adusting" the plug end. The straight tip was protruding too far, so I spliced in a 90* tip, allowing me to move the wireless receiver further back onto the plate.
10b59f8a.jpg

I remembered I had an IEC outlet laying about, so I measured and whipped out the nibblers to cut the mounting plate.
7f920b55.jpg

Perfect! Now to connect it to the PP2 -
d4d549bd.jpg

I used one of my unused IEC cables and it worked like a charm -
20791a62.jpg

An older shot of my board before rearranging the layout - you can see the added outlet on the upper left plate.
99b0064e.jpg

An overview of the board before the Musket was added. The MPS boards are the only ones I've found that have a true, two-tier setup. No more angling my toes to avoid hitting other pedals like on my Pedaltrain. One caveat - the power supply on the MPS is NOISY AS HELL. It's pure junk - toss it and use a PP2 or yor favorite power brick.
8414e9ad.jpg

^Thanks, man.

Without trying to sound like a douche in the honeymoon phase of ownership, I can't hide my enthusiasm for the cab! I know it sounds good because what I'm running through it is good. It's rock solid and a 10/10 on fit and finish.

Soundwise, the Hellatone 60's are phenominal. They basically exersize the voice coil of the V30 for 15 hours and then slap the Hellatone sticker on back of the magnet. The process of breaking it in really smooths out the peaky highs and uppermids that people complain about. In the end, the amp's cleans sparkle and has great detail in the mids and the lows are tight, but can be set for boomy. Distorted, it's just amazing. It can go from crushing to smooth with the amp's eq. There is a ton of bottom end available, which I never thought would be the case with a semi-open back cab.

On that note, I have to say I have never liked a 212 setup before. I always thought they were boxy and directional. The cab really resonates on this one and feels alive. The spread of the sound is amazing. It has a very wide field of sound, if that makes any sense. It's like sound is coming from every corner in my apt, and not just from the front baffle of the cab.

It's a fact that Avatar makes cabs for Orange, Suhr and several other big names. You can pop the back off of some Orage cabs and you might see a lil' Avatar sticker in there.

Wow man what a rig!!!

How do you like that mad professor delay?

Edit: You Do describe it, saw that the second time

The Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay is the PERFECT delay pedal for lead guitarists; it's almost dynamic in it's responsiveness and is tuned to play nice with distortion. Perfect for adding ambience to your tone.

Thanks, guys! It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on lol. If I were to do it again I'd save 50% on the mad professor and get the pcb version. Not sure there's any diff worth mentioning against the hand wired version.

That's an awesome rig fdeslavo!!
Here's a true 2 tier pedal board I made at work from 16 ga. Stainless steel

9-21-09004.jpg

DSCF0307.jpg

DSCF0309.jpg

These bottom two pictures were taken before I installed the rubber grommets on the holes.

Latest posts

Back