After a 5 year absence I'm back in the Stiletto Ace club

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalSteve

Reaction score
Well, I had a combo about 5 years ago and sold it I guess because I was still trying to figure out my tone identity trying different amps.

Out of a dozen or so amps I've been through this is the one I missed and regretted selling most. I came to realize EL34 crunch and cleans are what do it for me.

A Guitar Center in Illinois had a near-mint one at a price I could not pass up ($799 + $18 shipping) so I nabbed it. This was about a month ago.

What fantastic amps these are! Can get a spanky clean chimey surf tone with my Strat and as heavy as I need with my SG. And the issue of brightness I read many complaining about on forums really disappears with decent volume (say, loud talking and above) and an overlooked thing - making sure your G and B strings are in tune. I've had some well regarded amps and most in the EL34 camp are bright and have cut (Splawn, even the bass heavy Metro JTM 45 has a bright top-end). Once the volume goes up my Strat fattens right up under gain as well.

Anyway, nice to be back in the fold!

DSCN1259.jpg

Nice buy.....It's a beauty. Welcome back and enjoy.

Over the past few weekends I have been digging the clean settings with a little delay, sounds killer up loud, even for a stage I.

The prices are low on these and might even go lower. I need to find a stage II to demo.

TT

Yeah, the cleans are beautiful on these amps. I like a little delay as well (after wearing out my Andy Timmons Resolution CD and really getting to love that subtle delay).

I see you have V30's in your cab. I love the presence the V30's have as well as the tight low end.

Welcome back...and kudos on a killer looking Ace!! Really sharp!

I use a touch of delay on my Ace as well; it seems to help give a "controlled" amount of feedback and sustain when I ask for it. I'm really Jonesin' to play it right now. I've been battling some left hand finger injuries for almost 2 months now...sucks! When I get back into this thing, it's gonna be just brutal for my neighbors!! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back