Dealer Selling of NOS Mesa Amps: Ethical?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitardr

Reaction score
I recently bought a Stiletto Deuce II head from a Mesa dealer.
I checked it out in the store and it looked clean and in good shape until I got it home, and then I saw...
1. A disturbing amount of dust on top of the tubes & chasis.
2. In it's plastic paperwork folder a catalog dating from 2004!

Shouldn't dealers be prohibited from charging the MSRP on shop-worn and demo amps?

Anybody know what Mesa's view is on this kind of situation?
Seems a bit deceptive to me: you can't do this in the automotive and other consumable industries.

As I understand it, Mesa's policy does not allow dealers to discount their products. I'm not sure exactly what the policy is on so-called NOS or discontinued items.

NOS (New Old Stock) means pretty much what you bought - an amp which has never been sold and has sat in the shop unused for the most part.

"Shopworn" would mean evidence of use, like if it was a demo, with scratches around jacks, rips in the tolex, etc. Dust merely indicates poor housekeeping skills. Indeed, it would indicate to me more evidence of non-use, a good thing.

Not to bust your cojones too much, but it seems a bit unfair to blame the dealer for failing to point out dust and old literature that you didn't notice until you got the amp home.

I have heard the a Mesa rep. would have to discount the dealers inventory and credit the dealer the difference for product that is not moving, out of production or shop damaged product. This, I assume, has to be initiated by the dealer as only the dealer knows what is up within the store. I was looking at a combo that had a significant rip in the tolex on the bottom and the dealer was not allowed to mark it down without the permission of Mesa. I would have had to pay list for it to take it.

It is buyer beware on these type of items. You got to know Mesa's policies. You also have to know the store's policies. Look for the infamous "all sales final" signs which means you are responsible for all costs associated with warranty and, believe me, warranty is not free to the consumer. When I purchase a piece of electronic gear I take it out of the box, right in the store, and tweek everything possible before I buy it. Don't like me taking it out of the box? = NO SALE. I have been burned before.

- Pat.

MrMarkIII said:
As I understand it, Mesa's policy does not allow dealers to discount their products. I'm not sure exactly what the policy is on so-called NOS or discontinued items.

NOS (New Old Stock) means pretty much what you bought - an amp which has never been sold and has sat in the shop unused for the most part.

"Shopworn" would mean evidence of use, like if it was a demo, with scratches around jacks, rips in the tolex, etc. Dust merely indicates poor housekeeping skills. Indeed, it would indicate to me more evidence of non-use, a good thing.

Not to bust your cojones too much, but it seems a bit unfair to blame the dealer for failing to point out dust and old literature that you didn't notice until you got the amp home.

LOL...You busted my chops but my "beef" only goes this far to say:
1. Does this mean that I have to take the back plate or protective bar off & inspect the amp's chasis when I buy a Boogie? Maybe I neglected to say that I bought many items at this store before but this was the second time that an NOS was offered to me.

2. Shame on me for not taking the Mesa plastic folder apart to find a 7-8 y.o. manual & catalog in the packet.

3. Forced-air heating creates dust I agree, but at this point dust has nada to do with how much the amp was tried out/demonstrated/even loaned out for use. Cosmetics & dust do not corelate with possible hours played/shown/tried out over a 7 year period. My faith in this dealer is burnt at this point nonetheless. :(

Typhon said:
guitardr said:
MrMarkIII said:
3. Forced-air heating creates dust I agree

And it's wonderful for my allergy. :roll:

I also wonder if the techs & electricians at NASA think that dust is good for switching systems, relays, and circuitry? Housekeeping be damned: the amp was probably used many times no matter how "externally clean" it seemed. Ah-choo!

Just for clarification. Mesa doesn't care what a dealer sells an amp for. They care about what they advertise the price as. As long as they don't advertise it, a dealer can sell dual rectifiers for $10 all day long to walk in customers.

The reason why dealers don't haggle on prices is because there is no room to. The margin is too slim. The slim margin keeps everyone honest. Dealers arent cutting each others throats, and customers don't have to buy from the guys with the lowest prices, but rather from the guys with the best service.

The vast majority of manufacturers set an over inflated "retail" price, which nobody buys or sells at, and a minimum advertised price, which dealers and customers still haggle over.

Boogie does away with all of that and just publishes THE PRICE. Dealers have no incentive to sell any lower, and the customers intelligence isn't insulted by some imagined deal/discount off an overly inflated retail price.

Back on topic, NOS is still new and fully warrantied. If there is cosmetic damage, a discount would certainly be in order, and any amp 7 years old most likely has some sort of cosmetic issue. Otherwise, I would say clean the dust and replace the tubes if it's had extended play time in the store. Whats strange is why a dealer would still be sitting on a 7 year old amp in the first place. That amp should have been marked on sale about 6 years ago.

Back