First night with my new Stiletto!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exbest182

Reaction score
So I got my Stiletto Deuce Stage II a couple days ago - it arrived short one power tube - so I didn't get to play it right away... I got a pretty good deal on it... brand new, however it had been opened (they opened it to pull a tube out for some reason) paid $1299 for it, not too shabby... Added a new pair of EL34s today and fired her up.

I hooked it up through a Mesa Vertical 2x12 cab with V30s -

I picked the Stiletto up because of my band mostly, we're a old school hardcore punk (not screamo just some good old fashioned fast punk rock) I've been using my Mark V with the band, which sounds great, however, it's not the right sound for the band in my opinion.. I started off using it in IIC+ mode, then I started playing it in Crunch mode on channel 2 which sounded way better in the band mix... but after reading up I figured the Stiletto would be the next logical amp to get for that sound, they're all big fans of Orange and old Marshalls and whatnot -

So, I totally love channel 2 tite gain/50w/diode - for what I'm doing it's perfect... I spent most of my time tweaking that channel/setting - I dig it.. My BC Rich Mockingbird has Rockfield Mafia pickups in it and it rips with this amp... My Les Paul Traditional however, I'm finding a tad woofy (does that make sense) when I'm muting and chugging... especially an E, I don't get it with my Mockingbird... wasn't able to dial it out, I've had problems with the same thing on other amps, the 57 Classic Plus just isn't the pup for me, time to look at changing that out... however, the cleans are awesome with the LP...

I think I'm going to pick up another cab and run it through something other than v30s, I've been considering doing a cab with v30s and the Celestion G12EVH (or 12m) in an X pattern.. I have to wait till band practice to try it through my 4x12.. but so far, so good.. I dig it...

385392_10150427256671728_535986727_8505845_2015208924_n.jpg

I don't care for V30s with this amp at all, they're both excessively upper mid bright. I use C90s and they work much better: the low end is tighter, they don't have an upper-mid spike, and they're darker over all.

For what you're doing, crank the presence to noon, and back the treble down to around 9:00. You won't get that icepick top, but you'll still cut through.

Try turning up the output knob, and turning down the master. It helps smooth out the tone a little and add more low end...

KH Guitar Freak said:
Try turning up the output knob, and turning down the master. It helps smooth out the tone a little and add more low end...

I found this to work for me as well. It warms the tone up. With regards to warming up the amp, Another thing that i have been doing this last year is running a maxon 0d9 pro plus in front the amp especially in the "dirty channel". I set the pedal to boost mode and turn the drive way up on the pedal and keep the other knob "tone knob" down to around 9 oclock. then i pull the gain knob down on my amp to around 9 or 10 oclock. all the while been playing around with eq setting on amp head : bass 2or 3 oclock ; mid noon ; treble 9 oclock ish presence 9 oclockish. Another thing i like to do is take down pillows and hang them in front of my rectifier cab. this allows me to drive the amp up to get a warmer tone without blowing my ears out while playing in my cottage :mrgreen: .

This amp is truely like a hot rodded marshall with a slightly deeper growl. I agree with the previous post. Try a overdrive NOT a distortion. Set it for low clip and boost the level slightly to taste. Turn it up to let the 34"s breath a little 25% or more .

"Thats the sound" !!!!

P.S. If you put a 4 track in the room and you talk and it sounds like you. Play your guitar and thats pretty much how it sounds.

I just bought a Stiletto too.. Got it yesterday. I'm not familiar with it. I have owned Marshall plexis for the past couple years.
I'm a bit uncertain about the use of the output control knob..
My take on it so far is that it is just a global master volume.... beyond that I know it does have something to do with the effects loop.. any experienced Stiletto owners, please jump in and add what you can.. that would be a great help to me.

I like the amp right off the bat.. Its not a Marshall Plexi... Its different in a good way. Certainly a nice change for me.

leadtones

leadtone said:
I just bought a Stiletto too.. Got it yesterday. I'm not familiar with it. I have owned Marshall plexis for the past couple years.
I'm a bit uncertain about the use of the output control knob..
My take on it so far is that it is just a global master volume.... beyond that I know it does have something to do with the effects loop.. any experienced Stiletto owners, please jump in and add what you can.. that would be a great help to me.

I like the amp right off the bat.. Its not a Marshall Plexi... Its different in a good way. Certainly a nice change for me.

leadtones

The output knob can be thought of as a global master volume. However, as I've mentioned, the interaction between the master and output knobs is such that when you dial up the output knob, you get more low end and low mids coming through. This actually helps make the tone seem less harsh so to speak...

Latest posts

Back